Please Help - First Timer Needing Some Advice

Decorating By vicci0151 Updated 7 Sep 2010 , 7:26pm by vicci0151

vicci0151 Posted 24 Aug 2010 , 3:51pm
post #1 of 13

Hiya, so the story is.... My brother is due to go to Afghanistan with the RAF in a few months and him and his fiance have decided to get married before he goes. They are marrying on a very small budget and have cut costs wherever they can. I am the baker of the family and regularly make cupcakes and sponge cakes for family birthdays but never anything more.

Soooo. They asked me to make their wedding cake. icon_eek.gif
Not too bad i thought, until the bride decided she wanted a 3 tier stacked(?) cake, i did manage to talk her down from 4!

So, i have the tins, the fondant icing, theres a cake making shop near me that stocks boxes of madeira cake mix which i will probably use and we have bought rods and a cake base big enough.

The design is goign to be plain but with icing butterflys (sort of cut outs) travelling all the way down one side of the cake. I started making these last week out of the fondant icing as i was pretty sure they would last until the wedding on the 4th Sept but when i looked today..............they have all flattened! We wanted them to be looking like they are resting on the cake and i did try and dry them like that. Is there an additive that needs adding to the findant to make it set or should i be using something totally differeent?

All ideas gratefully accepted! icon_sad.gif

12 replies
FleurDeCake Posted 24 Aug 2010 , 4:13pm
post #2 of 13

Hi , You can add some tylose to your fondant , this helps it dry faster. Then after you cut the butterflies out lay them in the crease of a square or rectangle cake pan and they will dry to look like they are flying or sitting .HTH

vicci0151 Posted 31 Aug 2010 , 12:04pm
post #3 of 13

wow, 60 views and only one reply. Thanks guys.
I went to the local cake decorating shop that i mentioned and they advised me to forget using fondant at all and to use pastillage. I have now made all 192 butterfiles for this cake and they have turned out perfect icon_razz.gif

dchockeyguy Posted 31 Aug 2010 , 12:19pm
post #4 of 13

Wow, that's awesome. I've never used pastillage before. I would have also suggested using tylose with your fondant to make these. I'm glad it turned out, but sorry you didn't get more help. Last week was a BEAR for me at work, personally, and I haven't been able to check the forums as much.

Caths_Cakes Posted 31 Aug 2010 , 12:28pm
post #5 of 13

i always use flower paste when doing things like butterflies because it drys solid, They keep there shape fantastically icon_smile.gif

vicci0151 Posted 6 Sep 2010 , 9:09pm
post #6 of 13

Well its all over with now! The cake turned out brilliant - much better than i could have ever hoped for and had nothing but compliments on it. It wasnt perfect but hey, its the first time i have done anything liek this and i have had no training etc.

Let me know what you think.

peaseofcake Posted 6 Sep 2010 , 9:21pm
post #7 of 13

vicci0151 - Very nice work, the cake turned out very pretty.

susieqhomemaker Posted 7 Sep 2010 , 3:55am
post #8 of 13

I like the butterflies! The jewels and butterflies on the wires give it a really nice touch. thumbs_up.gif

itsmylife Posted 7 Sep 2010 , 5:30am
post #9 of 13

Gorgeous!! Those butterflies are amazing.

p.s. a big salute & thank you to your brother for his service

sunset74 Posted 7 Sep 2010 , 5:43am
post #10 of 13

The wedding may have been on a budget, but that cake does not say it. It is beautiful. Congrats on making your first tiered wedding cake. You did an awesome job and thanks to your brother and his wife for serving our country. I say thank you to her too, because I have many military friends and their wives are just as important as they are, since they are the ones taking care of their families back home and their number 1 supporter and fan.

poohsmomma Posted 7 Sep 2010 , 3:35pm
post #11 of 13

The glittery butterflies are beautiful. You should be very proud. I hope your brother is home safe and secure very soon.

Babs1964 Posted 7 Sep 2010 , 3:47pm
post #12 of 13

Beautifully done!

vicci0151 Posted 7 Sep 2010 , 7:26pm
post #13 of 13

Thanks guys, I am still in shock that it turned out so well!

Quote by @%username% on %date%