What Icing For A Smash Cake? Something That Doesn't Crust

Decorating By yanica1 Updated 24 Aug 2010 , 7:08pm by ninatat

yanica1 Posted 24 Aug 2010 , 2:12pm
post #1 of 4

I did a #1 smash cake for a friend and used the regular buttercream with crisco but i wanted to make something that would not crust so that it can get a little messy when the child eats it but didn't know of a recipe to use. Any suggestions?

I need something kinda like the buttercream that you get from cakes at the store. kinda like coolwhip but that i can decorate with using the star tip.

3 replies
erincc Posted 24 Aug 2010 , 2:27pm
post #2 of 4

It's not a whipped-type icing but I've used the Marshmallow Creme Buttercream from the recipe section here. http://cakecentral.com/recipes/2110/marshmallow-creme-buttercream

It's delicious and doesn't crust. For my son's birthday, I used a cream cheese icing mixed with real whipped cream because I wanted something a little "healthier", anyway, at least it wasn't full of artificial ingredients. We had carrot cake cupcakes.

Otherwise, you can look to see if you can find Bettercreme in your area. It's a cool-whip type icing that can be used for some decorations. I found it at a Party supply/cake supply store in their freezer section.

yanica1 Posted 24 Aug 2010 , 2:48pm
post #3 of 4

thanks! i will try it! i like your healthy version too! i will need to try both... time to bake, bake, bake. icon_smile.gif

ninatat Posted 24 Aug 2010 , 7:08pm
post #4 of 4

hi a pastry chef gave this to me, i use butter and it doesn't crust, nice and smooth and not that super sweet taste,

1 cup crisco
1 stick parkay non crust butter
1tlb vanilla
1 lb, 10x con sugar

Quote by @%username% on %date%