How Do You Deal With Kids And Allergen Free Products?

Decorating By Dreme Updated 24 Aug 2010 , 9:42pm by Moondance

Dreme Posted 24 Aug 2010 , 1:39pm
post #1 of 11

Lately I have been receiving inquiries for allergen free cakes for kids parties. I don't offer allergen free products and I have this stated on my site (if only people would read). This is really pushing me towards not wanting to do kiddie related designs as I don't do licensed characters either. Does anyone else feel like this? Like its more of a problem.

I don't have kids but this got me thinking. I probably will go all out for my kids parties (lavish wedding like birthday cakes, with cupcakes, and cookie favors to give out) when the time comes. I more than likely will only cater to my kid as far as the allergy thing goes (side thought: How do so many kids develop allergies all of a sudden? I don't remember this being a serious problem when I was a kid. Educate me.) How do you handle inviting other kids to the party? How do some kids handle not getting what the other kids have?

10 replies
TexasSugar Posted 24 Aug 2010 , 1:58pm
post #2 of 11

Right now if you don't want to or can't do allergy free cakes, then I would just say that. That shouldn't keep you from wanting to do any kids cakes, espeically since there are adults that also have allergies.

I won't do any allergry free cakes, mainly because I can't nor would I promise that something would be allergry free.

My cousin's daughter has a nut allergy. When I bake for family get togethers I still use nuts if the recipe I am doing calls for it. We always have 4-5 or more desserts so there is something that is nut free. I do let her know which things have nuts or she will ask, but it isn't a big deal.

Now if it was someone that had a really bad allergy then it might be different. But people with allergies learn to be careful about what they eat, and learn that there are some things that they just can't have.

Kiddiekakes Posted 24 Aug 2010 , 3:56pm
post #3 of 11

I second Texas...I don't do or offer Allergy restricted cakes either..I can't garantee that no nut products etc is in the ingredients I use either..I also state this....I still get customer asking and wanting allergy free,dairy free etc..I jsut say No!!As for a Mom who wants a cake for one specific child at the party(Not being hers) is a bit much to me...I bake my childs cake how I see fit and if there is a child invited to the party that can't eat it..I will tell the Mom to bring another snack they can have or offer fruit etc..Most of the Mom's will send something anyway if that is the case..I just don't think I should have to re-think and bake around someone else's child..JMO so don't blast me for it!! LOL...besides it can be quite costly to bake specialty cakes and most Mom's when then find out how expensive say No Thanks!

pinkpiggie78 Posted 24 Aug 2010 , 4:07pm
post #4 of 11

I will speak from the allergy side of things. When my son gets invited to a party, I ask what will be served and if he can't have the food, I feed him beforehand. I don't ever expect folks to cater to my child... that's my job.

leafO Posted 24 Aug 2010 , 5:11pm
post #5 of 11

I wouldn't worry about kids with allergies not getting what the other kids have, they are used to it. There will always be things they can't eat at social gatherings. As someone who grew up with allergies I would just eat beforehand or bring a little treat along. I wouldn't worry too much about catering to their specific need.

That being said though, it is a nice gesture to have something at the party that the child can eat but you don't have to go out of your way for it. It could be something as simple as having regular chocolate ice cream instead of chocolate brownie, so then the child that can't eat cake can still have some ice cream. It's totally not necessary but is a nice gesture. icon_wink.gif

jcstefanick Posted 24 Aug 2010 , 5:22pm
post #6 of 11

Same as several other posts. My daughter has food allergies and gets invited to parties all the time. I will just find out what they are serving and send along similar things that she can eat. So if they are having pizza, Iwill send along pizza she can have or instead of eating their cake, I will send along a cupcake made for her. She does just fine with eating something different from the other kids and the parents don't have to worry about making sure she can or can't have the items.

awatterson Posted 24 Aug 2010 , 5:26pm
post #7 of 11

I don't offer allergy free items either. Too much of a liability because you never know what may have come in contact with a peanut or other allergy item and I wouldn't want to kill or harm anyone's child.

pinkpiggie78 Posted 24 Aug 2010 , 5:34pm
post #8 of 11

Ironically I got a call yesterday about a dairy-free, egg-free, nut-free and wheat-free cake. Before she even got to that, she told me that didn't want to use a home-based business but she is left with no other resort. I tried really hard to give her help as to where she could look to find a decorated cake for her son (we live about 60 min outside of DC... someone has to do those kind of cakes up there) and needless to say everything I suggested was too much of a hassle for her. She ended the conversation telling me that I should stop doing what I am doing and just make allergy-free cakes.

awatterson Posted 24 Aug 2010 , 5:37pm
post #9 of 11

That was rude of her pinkpigge78. Let me guess, she need it by this weekend?

pinkpiggie78 Posted 24 Aug 2010 , 5:46pm
post #10 of 11

I didn't even get to ask her when she needed it for... I sympathize with her, b/c of my son's (and probably the baby's) food allergies. At the same time, I run a business (at least try to) and I don't get that many inquiries for these kinds of cakes. PLus there is a whole learning curve on learning how to bake without eggs, dairy, etc... believe me I have tried for my son. At this point I don't have time for that, and I don't have the funds or space to get a separate set of equipment to bake these "specialty cakes". What I should have told her after she informed me that she knows how to bake, just not decorate, is to go take some Wilton classes...

Moondance Posted 24 Aug 2010 , 9:42pm
post #11 of 11

Just a point from a Coeliac - Gluten intolerant - person. I NEVER expect anyone to cater for my dietary needs, one, because it's too complicated for people who don't understand it, and two, I would never trust that the food was truly gluten free! and that is with no disrespect to my lovely friends icon_biggrin.gif

Quote by @%username% on %date%