How Far Do You Deliver?

Decorating By Tellis12 Updated 26 Aug 2010 , 4:25pm by catlharper

Tellis12 Posted 24 Aug 2010 , 12:38pm
post #1 of 16

This last weekend I had a HUGE disaster transporting a cake about 30 minutes away through loads of traffic. Now I'm gun shy about delivering very far away. How far away do you deliver?

15 replies
leah_s Posted 24 Aug 2010 , 12:51pm
post #2 of 16

Max is about 25 miles, but I'm in a fairly large metro area.

Were you using SPS? icon_smile.gif

jones5cm Posted 24 Aug 2010 , 1:03pm
post #3 of 16

I'll go 50 miles; but I'm in a rural area. My main obstacles are the pot holes and poor VDOT repair areas! I always travel in as many pieces as possible and deal with assembly at the venue.

leily Posted 24 Aug 2010 , 1:59pm
post #4 of 16

I go about 60. I live in more of a rural area and this gets me to the next 3 largest cities around me.

Tellis12 Posted 24 Aug 2010 , 8:49pm
post #5 of 16

Leah, No, I wasn't using SPS. I'm one of those stories where people have huge disasters and then starting using SPS. The main reason I haven't is that it's much more expensive and I haven't been budgeting it in. But starting next week, I will be! I'm in a metro area so I don't need to go 60 miles but I think I'll have to stick my foot out a little further than I'm currently comfortable with.

JoneaG Posted 25 Aug 2010 , 1:30am
post #6 of 16

Stupid question, what is SPS? Thanks!

indydebi Posted 25 Aug 2010 , 1:46am
post #7 of 16

I would routinely deliver an hour or sometimes more. I usually had a catering job to go with the cake so the income per order was higher .... but I STILL charged $150+ delivery fee for it.

Tellis12 Posted 25 Aug 2010 , 2:12am
post #8 of 16

Jonea, SPS is a kind of cake support system. There's a sticky at the top of the Cake Decorating Forum about it.

Donnabugg Posted 25 Aug 2010 , 2:16am
post #9 of 16

When everyone is saying how far they'll go you don't mean for free correct??

jenmat Posted 25 Aug 2010 , 2:26am
post #10 of 16

I live in the boonies and then some, over country roads in WI, so that means crazy delivery scenarios. I used to deliver in piecemeal, but now I have two Cakesafes. I know they're expensive, and some people make fun, but with the distances I have to travel (almost always over 35-40 minutes), they are worth every penny and I don't even have to slow down to normal wedding delivery speed. Best investment besides Stress Free Supports.
I have used SPS in other jobs, and it is great too. Just not a hacksaw kind of girl.

SweetsbyLadawn Posted 25 Aug 2010 , 3:41am
post #11 of 16

20 miles for free.

leily Posted 25 Aug 2010 , 3:53am
post #12 of 16
Quote:
Originally Posted by Donnabugg

I do withen 7 miles free, this covers the local town i'm in

indydebi Posted 25 Aug 2010 , 2:50pm
post #13 of 16
Quote:
Originally Posted by leily

Quote:
Originally Posted by Donnabugg

I do withen 7 miles free, this covers the local town i'm in

I selected a demographic area as my free delivery. Indpls, like lots of large cities has a by-pass highway (Picture a freeway that circles the city like a big clock ..... I was at the 2:30 clock position). I'd deliver inside the I-465 circle (this included the major venues and downtown hotels) for free. I'd deliver within 20-30 minutes of my shop (outside the 465 circle) for free.

I based it on the time it takes to get there and not just the miles. 15 minutes over back roads can take much longer than 25 miles on straight highway. And when I'm transporting food that has to be maintained at hot and cold temps,, it's time .... not miles .... that's my enemy. thumbs_up.gif

jason_kraft Posted 25 Aug 2010 , 11:38pm
post #14 of 16

How much do people typically charge for delivery? I've recently switched to charging $2 per minute one way (based on the Google Maps estimate) instead of $2 per mile.

Since most of our cakes are in the $50-100 range we don't do free delivery, and there is a $15 minimum delivery charge.

We don't have a max delivery range, the farthest we've delivered is about an hour away to San Francisco (we're in the San Jose area).

indydebi Posted 25 Aug 2010 , 11:48pm
post #15 of 16
Quote:
Originally Posted by jasonkraft

How much do people typically charge for delivery?

Mine was $1.25 per round trip mile (My crew was still on the payroll until they got BACK to the shop and clocked out; my business was still paying for gas unti the van got back to the shop and was turnd off) based on mapquest. This was a minimum. Lots of backroads or locations of "you can't get there from here" had a PITA charge added.

So a 50 mile one-way delivery would be 100 round trip miles = $125 delivery fee ..... minimum. Figure that 50 miles can be as short as 45 minutes (one way) or as long as 1.5 hours .... or 1.5 to 3 hours round trip. That's a heck of a big chunk of non-productivity time out of my day so I AM going to be compensated for it.

catlharper Posted 26 Aug 2010 , 4:25pm
post #16 of 16

I routinely deliver to the Bay Area which is about 2 hours away. I do have a Cake Safe and absolutely love it. Worth the cost for me. Now as for cost I have a free delivery rate for under 25 miles round trip. This is usually all I need for local deliveries. $.50 a mile for round trip. Since I'm the only employee I don't have to pay employee rates as well as gas/up keep on my truck and I have a bonus of seeing my kids on any trip to the BA...for these reasons I keep the charge low.

Cat

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%