What Are Your Fondant Must Have's?

Decorating By SweetsbyLadawn Updated 25 Aug 2010 , 6:36am by pixiefuncakes

SweetsbyLadawn Posted 24 Aug 2010 , 8:50am
post #1 of 21

Please help me! I work with buttercream only but have a bride to be and 17yr old requesting fondant. I have taken a fondant class and practicing ahead of time so I am ready to go...But what are your FONDANT must haves? I have plans to order an alluminum rolling pin...What else should I buy?

20 replies
mcaulir Posted 24 Aug 2010 , 9:22am
post #2 of 21

Sheet of vinyl for rolling out.

SweetsbyLadawn Posted 24 Aug 2010 , 9:27am
post #3 of 21

What grade/ thickness, or does it matter?

SweetsbyLadawn Posted 24 Aug 2010 , 9:28am
post #4 of 21

BTW- thank you!

Loucinda Posted 24 Aug 2010 , 12:04pm
post #5 of 21

2 fondant smoothers (one to hold the cake with, one to smooth with) a corsage pin to prick any bubbles that may appear, and shortning to lightly grease the vinyl mat with.

Sassy74 Posted 24 Aug 2010 , 5:30pm
post #6 of 21

Lots of cornstarch lol ! But, if you roll it out on a greased vinyl mat, you don't need the cornstarch to roll it out. I don't use a mat, so I lightly dust my surface with CS, and pat a little on top of the fondant while I'm smoothing it onto the cake. I couldn't cake without cornstarch!

Dayti Posted 24 Aug 2010 , 5:34pm
post #7 of 21

Apart from all of the above, a spray water bottle to LIGHTLY spritz your crusted buttercream or ganache underlay, to make the fondant stick nicely.

kitty122000 Posted 24 Aug 2010 , 5:46pm
post #8 of 21

a pizza cutter to trim off the edge of the fondant. I use a wodden rolling pin- no handles. I also use a mat and crisco. My mat is the same material that you sometimes see booths covered in, in old restaurants. like this: http://www.americanretrofurniture.com/diner-booth_18729.html its pink and sparkly though lol!

DefyGravity Posted 24 Aug 2010 , 5:56pm
post #9 of 21

I have a wooden rolling pin, but sometimes it leaves imprints of the grain in it, which can look like it's cracking. Make sure you get something that can take a lot of pressure and leaves your fondant smooth.

I also think that my fondant smoothers have been incredible, and I use a pizza cutter to trim away excess.

kimbm04r Posted 25 Aug 2010 , 2:24am
post #10 of 21

I bought the vinyl quite some time ago but never used it until a few weeks ago when I made my GD's Castle cake. I will never again roll out fondant without my vinyl again. I can't believe the difference it makes with the rolling and putting the fondant on the cake.

I also suggest getting a rolling pin that is long enough to easily roll out wide fondant (you will need it for the wedding cake). I use a marble rolling pin but sometimes it is just to heavy.

You will definately need a fondant smoother or two and a pizza cutter to smooth and cut away the extra fondant.

bobwonderbuns Posted 25 Aug 2010 , 2:42am
post #11 of 21

I need my palette knife and waterbrush (along with all the other stuff people have mentioned.) Then there's the smoothers, vinyl (12 gauge works great) or silicone mat for rolling, cornstarch poofy, scissors, pizza wheel, pin for poking out holes...

Apti Posted 25 Aug 2010 , 3:00am
post #12 of 21

psysienna1, I'm fairly new to cakes, but was able to take the Wilton fondant and gumpaste course. I had read online (probably at CC) that an 18" aluminum rolling pin was great for fondant. I went ahead and ordered one and was shocked at how huge it was! Then, I used it to roll fondant for a 12", 10", 8", and 6" 4 tier cake. I hugged that precious, wonderful, huge, rolling pin to my chest and gave it kisses. Here's a link for the one I purchased, it is the least expensive: http://cgi.ebay.com/Thunder-Group-ALRNP018-18-Aluminum-Rolling-Pin-/230510834678?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0

You can get medium vinyl at any fabric store. The pizza cutter is a must. I didn't buy one right away and found out that cutting with a knife "pulls and tears" the fondant. I also use a smaller rolling pin for the little pieces of decorations.

You can also get PVC pipe that is used for water, have it cut to the length you wish, and sand the ends smooth. If you buy 1-1/4" PVC pipe, the Wilton 20 in. Rolling Pin Guide Rings, #1907-1010, $4.49, will fit.

sweetnessx3 Posted 25 Aug 2010 , 3:04am
post #13 of 21

This is the first time Ive heard about the vinyl, Where would you buy this ? Ive always been told to roll my mmf out on ps or cs but , I see now you can use crisco ?

Loucinda Posted 25 Aug 2010 , 3:13am
post #14 of 21

You get the vinyl at joanns or walmart (fabric section on a big roll). I only use shortning to roll out fondant for covering cakes, no dusty spots, and works perfectly.

sweetnessx3 Posted 25 Aug 2010 , 3:29am
post #15 of 21

OH MY I'm going to try this icon_smile.gif this week ! If its not too expensive !

KJ62798 Posted 25 Aug 2010 , 3:38am
post #16 of 21
Originally Posted by sweetnessx3

OH MY I'm going to try this icon_smile.gif this week ! If its not too expensive !

The vinyl at Joann's is super cheap and you can use a 40% coupon for a "single" cut of fabric. Buy a yard or two and then cut it to usuable size at home. I have a larger piece for rolling out covering pieces and a smaller one for when I just have cut-outs to make or gumpaste to roll.

tweeter_bug98 Posted 25 Aug 2010 , 3:38am
post #17 of 21

I used to use just the powdered sugar/corn starch until I found out in class that Crisco can be used. It makes working with fondant soooooo much easier. I still use a little powdered sugar/corn starch, but not as much and now I don't have to worry about white dust everywhere. At first I thought the Crisco might make my fondant/gumpaste look greasy. But it doesn't. It works great!

Loucinda Posted 25 Aug 2010 , 3:49am
post #18 of 21

The vinyl should be less than $5.

sweetnessx3 Posted 25 Aug 2010 , 3:51am
post #19 of 21

Can't wait to try this ! Do you just lift vinyl and all over the cake ? Or will it lift off the crisco easily !

kitty122000 Posted 25 Aug 2010 , 6:11am
post #20 of 21

For me it depends on the size of cake I am covering, if it's 10" or larger I'll probably pick up my whole mat. If I can easily pick it up without my rolling pin, I'm not going to pick up my mat either.

pixiefuncakes Posted 25 Aug 2010 , 6:36am
post #21 of 21

My teacher gave me a sneaky little tip, take a small piece of x-ray film and put it in boiling water (or as hot as you can stand), let it sit for a little then use some steel wool and scrub off the 'dark' side completely. Once it is dry you can use the smooth side to 'polish' your fondant. It helps smooth out any blemishes.

Quote by @%username% on %date%