Covering Rkt With Modeling Chocolate

Decorating By spryte Updated 17 Sep 2010 , 2:28pm by cmbesher

spryte Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
spryte Posted 24 Aug 2010 , 3:52am
post #1 of 5

I am getting really nervous! I made RKT trees (dowel wrapped with copper wire- foodsafe- and then RKT over the top). I mashed the RKT down real tightly and I like the shape of the bark as is, so no need to smooth it out- in fact I will be folding the rolled modeling chocolate a bit to give the trunks more texture.

So what I really need to know is this- for the modeling chocolate to Stick to the RKT (which will have dried a bit overnight) do I Need to add a glue of some sort? Or will it just stick and stay due to the warmth of my hands and the modeling process? Just putting the clay around the RKT is what I would prefer but I don't want it to fall off.

I would prefer not to put the trees in the fridge.

4 replies
msthang1224 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
msthang1224 Posted 24 Aug 2010 , 10:00am
post #2 of 5

Hi, I have not used modeling chocolate to cover my RKTs as of yet. I have always used fondant so I will tell you frpm a fondant point of view. I almost never have to use a glue to adhere my fondant to the rkt. Sometimes, when it calls for, bc the fondant isn't being nice, I add just a TAD BIT of glue (tylose & water or gumpaste & water) to cover the figure and then apply which works fine. BUT, as I said this is with fondant covering the figure. I don't think it should be that much of a difference when using modeling chocolate but, then again, I've never usewd it before. HTH

kitty122000 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kitty122000 Posted 24 Aug 2010 , 4:38pm
post #3 of 5

you shouldn't need any glue, if it isn't sticking like you want it to brush a little corn syrup on the RKT with a pastry brush!

spryte Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
spryte Posted 24 Aug 2010 , 11:23pm
post #4 of 5

I have one tree done- I don't remember my last modeling chocolate as being so SOFT even at room temp. Perhaps I added too much corn syrup?

Either way the trees will have to be in the fridge or they will almost drip icon_smile.gif oh well, this will be quite the challenge, making room for them plus the cupcakes but at least the trees look pretty good and the modeling chocolate is not coming off.

Thanks so much for your advice it was a great relief!

cmbesher Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cmbesher Posted 17 Sep 2010 , 2:28pm
post #5 of 5

what type of trees are you doing?....how are you doing the branches?....I need a tree for a cake that's due tomorrow by noon and I'm stuck with the branches and leaves.....not sure how to do them. any help would be appreciated.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%