Gum Paste Flowers On Cupcakes

Decorating By love2makecakes Updated 24 Aug 2010 , 2:27pm by kileyscakes

love2makecakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
love2makecakes Posted 23 Aug 2010 , 7:47pm
post #1 of 4

okay, so i am making 200+ cupcakes and packaging them in individual cupcake boxes in sept., and i would like to add a gum paste flower to each cupcake. my question starts here...

about a two months ago i made cupcakes with gum paste butterflies on each, i packaged them the night before in cupcake boxes of 24 for delivery. the next morning i go down to my shop and find all the butterflies wilted! what a mess, i had to take off most of them and hurry up to make more before delivery. so upon placing cupcakes on stand i then put the new butterflies on each problem solved.

now i would like to have the flower on all cupcakes when i place them in the individual boxes the night before delivery and am concerned that once i do so the gum paste flower will also wilt from the cupcake moisture in each box.

is it possible that i did not have the gum paste butterflies all the way dry before and that is why they wilted? or should i add some tylose or something to the gum paste to prevent that from happening to my flowers??

thanks!!!

3 replies
TexasSugar Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
TexasSugar Posted 23 Aug 2010 , 8:16pm
post #2 of 4

Is the packaging air tight? If so, then yes the gumpaste will absorb moisture from the icing and cupcakes. I've had roses that had been dried for weeks wilt when putting them in an airtight container with the cake.

love2makecakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
love2makecakes Posted 24 Aug 2010 , 12:04pm
post #3 of 4

Dang and I thought it was cause I didnt allow enough time for them to dry! Yes, the containers are air tight. How do you think royal icing flowers will fair? I guess I am trying to stay away from doing all cupcakes with buttercream flowers the day I package to save some time.

kileyscakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kileyscakes Posted 24 Aug 2010 , 2:27pm
post #4 of 4

when I do any type of fondant deco on my cupcakes I just don't put the lids on all the way I just put them on caddy corner to allow some air in, the only time I put my bakery box lids on tight is when in delivery and I don't have problems. I also tell my customers the same thing to put the lids on loosely if not to be eaten right away so the decos don't melt.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%