Disassembling Tiered Cakes

Decorating By FloweryGreetings Updated 7 Jun 2013 , 4:53am by CWR41

FloweryGreetings Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
FloweryGreetings Posted 23 Aug 2010 , 6:24pm
post #1 of 7

On the weekend, I did a 3 tiered birthday cake. I am super happy with the way it turned out, but there was a bit of a mishap when I went to disassemble the cake to cut it. I removed the dowel that was through the cake, then figured I'd separate each tier so that people could have their choice of flavour. The problem was, when I removed the top layer, the fondant and buttercream from the middle layer stuck to the bottom of the top tier's cardboard round. Does that make sense? Anyways, the same thing happened with the icing from the bottom tier. How do I separate the tiers while leaving the icing on the cake beneath?

6 replies
Alfiesmom Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Alfiesmom Posted 23 Aug 2010 , 10:46pm
post #2 of 7

i have only done it once, and the tiers were fondant covered (I don't know how this would work with buttercream/icing), but i put a little corn starch on the top of the bottom tier, then a round of wax paper (slightly smaller than the next tier) then the next tier (which was on a thin cake board/cardboard) then repeated on top of that tier. I was present at the cutting and with a large spatula lifted one off the other with no problem. I did not have the center dowel though. hth

JanelleH Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
JanelleH Posted 23 Aug 2010 , 11:04pm
post #3 of 7

I usually put a thin layer of cake crumbs between each tier; on top of the icing but underneath the cardboard circle of the tier above.

leah_s Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
leah_s Posted 23 Aug 2010 , 11:42pm
post #4 of 7

I use coarse sugar between the tier and the plate.

indydebi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
indydebi Posted 24 Aug 2010 , 12:25am
post #5 of 7

If you're using a crusting BC, you should let the icing crust before setting the next tier in place. I never have this sticking problem with my icing (I cut most of my wedding cakes so I saw it firsthand). If you look at my "how to cut a wedding cake' link (in signature), ,you'll see the indentation of the upper tiers on the icing yet the icing stayed in place.

cakesbycourtney Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cakesbycourtney Posted 7 Jun 2013 , 4:44am
post #6 of 7

AHow does it not stick if its construction stacked like in the photo? If there are plates with columns in between I could understand but if they are right on top of each other right on top of the frosting how does it not pull off?

CWR41 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
CWR41 Posted 7 Jun 2013 , 4:53am
post #7 of 7
Quote:
Originally Posted by cakesbycourtney 

How does it not stick if its construction stacked like in the photo? If there are plates with columns in between I could understand but if they are right on top of each other right on top of the frosting how does it not pull off?

See Wilton "**tip" below, or use methods previously mentioned above.

http://www.wilton.com/cakes/tiered-cakes/stacked-tiered-cake-construction.cfm

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%