Adding Flavor To Sugarshacks Buttercream After The Fact??

Baking By KaykesInPa Updated 23 Aug 2010 , 8:41pm by tiggy2

KaykesInPa Posted 23 Aug 2010 , 5:07pm
post #1 of 5

I made my first batch of sugarshacks buttercream using half sweetex and half butter. It came out perfect. It is the most beautiful silky buttercream I've ever seen! However, i need a straight vanilla frosting, so I just used 3T of clear vanilla and a little butter flavoring and a pinch of salt but it came out very bland tasting still. I've used vanilla and butter in other buttercream recipes and they've tasted fine so I'm not sure what is going on. I just switched to Wilton clear vanilla and maybe that is why...
Anyway, i froze the bc for later. My question is, after I thaw it, can I add extra flavoring before whipping or will it destroy the silky texture? In my limited experience, bc is so temperamental and I don't want to ruin a 5 qt batch.
TIA for any words of wisdom!

4 replies
kakeladi Posted 23 Aug 2010 , 5:35pm
post #2 of 5

.......switched to Wilton clear vanilla and maybe that is why.........can I add extra flavoring before whipping or will it destroy the silky texture? In my limited experience, bc is so temperamental.......

I have worked w/mainly b'cream for more than 30 yrs and have never felt it temperamental! icon_smile.gif
The problem is your Wilton clean vanilla and Yes, you can add more flavoring to it at any time and not destroy the texture. Well, that is unless you are adding say a tablespoon flavoring to a tablespoon of icing icon_smile.gif If you are using say a couple of cups of icing (or more) you can add up to a tablespoon flavoring of any kind w/o any problems.

KaykesInPa Posted 23 Aug 2010 , 6:47pm
post #3 of 5

Thank you! The fact that my buttercream is temperamental shows that I have *not* been working with buttercream for 30 years icon_wink.gif
I've managed to work up greasecream, sandcream (gritty!), butter soup.... U name it! So I'm very nervous to mess something up that actually worked. But I'm learning. Today I learned that not all artificial flavorings are created equally icon_smile.gif thx!

All4Show Posted 23 Aug 2010 , 7:07pm
post #4 of 5

Add some creme bouquet to a small amount of frosting and see what you think. I usually add about 5t. to a 5 qt. batch.

tiggy2 Posted 23 Aug 2010 , 8:41pm
post #5 of 5

If it doesn't have to be white add some vanilla bean paste, it's wonderfull!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%