Substitute For Clear Lacquer?

Decorating By cloetzu Updated 16 Oct 2013 , 4:29am by Rusti

cloetzu Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cloetzu Posted 23 Aug 2010 , 4:39pm
post #1 of 12

Hello,

I'm wondering if anyone has an idea for substituting clear lacquer? I want to make some fondant flowers using darker colors and when I do so they tend to have either cornstarch or powdered sugar all over them ... I saw online that you can spary them with clear edible lacquer once done to make them shinny and thus remove the look of 'powder'. However at about $40 a can plus about $10 shipping it's too too much!!!

Does anyone have any other ideas/alternative ways of getting rid of the 'powder look'? i think steam would work if the item is movable (i.e. you oan play over steam) but if it is on the cake and you can't move it what else can I try?

11 replies
sherrycanary62 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sherrycanary62 Posted 23 Aug 2010 , 4:44pm
post #2 of 12

Edible Varnish

1 t. gelatin
3 t. water
1 t. liquid glucose

Sprinkle gelatin in the water. Let stand until it becomes spongy.
Dissolve until clear over hot, not boiling water, Add the liquid
glucose and stir until ingredients are well combined.
Pour this mixture into an airtight container.
The mixture will get very stiff. To use it, heat the varnish in a
container of hot, not boiling, water. Paint onto the item to be varnished while
the mixture is still hot. The edible varnish should NOT be kept in the refrigerator.

cloetzu Posted 23 Aug 2010 , 4:55pm
post #3 of 12

Thanks for the recipe!!

Just wondering if this will soften up the flower petals because of the 'volume' being applied - I know it's not a lot but would be more than some sort of airbrushing or spray??? I have an airbrush...

I was acutally wondering if steam would soften the flower petals up too much too???

TexasSugar Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
TexasSugar Posted 23 Aug 2010 , 5:04pm
post #4 of 12

Alot of people steam their flowers to set petal dusts. Are you just coloring the gumpaste when you use it or are you also using petal dusts on the flowers?

cloetzu Posted 23 Aug 2010 , 8:37pm
post #5 of 12

I'm coloring the gumpaste with gel colors first .... then rolling out and cutting out petal shapes, forming etc and then attaching to one another to form flower.... inevitably the petals get covered in powder as I make them so they look dusty especially with darker colors like red or deep colors.

cloetzu Posted 23 Aug 2010 , 8:38pm
post #6 of 12

speaking of petal dust would I need to add it before I steam them or can I also add afterwards?

sillywabbitz Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sillywabbitz Posted 24 Aug 2010 , 2:55pm
post #7 of 12

You can also put a little crisco on a paint brush and paint over the petals gently. This will remove the powdered but the flowers will still dry with a mat finish in the long run.

Tomoore Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Tomoore Posted 27 Jun 2012 , 1:38am
post #8 of 12

Crazy question...when heated, is the gelatin mixture thin enough to spray thru an airbrush?

BakingIrene Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
BakingIrene Posted 27 Jun 2012 , 3:37am
post #9 of 12

Several points:

First of all you should brush the cornstarch/sugar off each petal after you have shaped/wired it, before you begin to dust with coloured powder. Use a clean dry brush and do it over a container to catch the waste powder.

Second, confectioners glaze should be purchased in bottles NOT aerosol spray cans which are not permitted to be shipped by air. CK products 7882.0 (glaze) and thinner 7882.5 come in 8 ounce bottles. You may set this up to spray with a spray bottle or airbrush. Less than $10 for 8 ounces plus ground shipping.

Petal dust is added before steaming because steaming is done to makes it stick. Petals can be painted with moist materials after steaming.

The gelatin glaze recipe has the consistency of sticky jam.

milkmaid42 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
milkmaid42 Posted 27 Jun 2012 , 4:18am
post #10 of 12

If you are merely wanting to remove the powdered sugar look, you can lightly spray with vodka. It evaporates rapidly and leaves the petals ready to redust or do whatever you want with them. Like the others said, I steam to set the dust to have a soft matte finish. I also use glazes and lacquer where appropriate.

obelia612 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
obelia612 Posted 10 Oct 2013 , 5:10pm
post #11 of 12

will this recipe work also for chocolate lollipops? i made them three weeks ago and some have become very dull.  Please reply as soon as you can. I need them ready within one week.

Thanks for your help.

obe

Rusti Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Rusti Posted 16 Oct 2013 , 4:29am
post #12 of 12

A50% alcohol & 50% corn syrup

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%