Transporting Stacked Cake

Decorating By PaulasPastries Updated 23 Aug 2010 , 10:29pm by cakelady31

PaulasPastries Posted 23 Aug 2010 , 3:38pm
post #1 of 8

Hey I'm brand new on cake central and not quite sure how to search and navigate just yet so I apologize if this is an already-discussed topic. I've only made a tiered wedding cake once before, and in that case i delivered it prior to the reception and had time to stack, assemble and decorate on site. I have an order this weekend for a cake that will be delivered in the middle of a party at a person's home, so it needs to be put together prior to putting it in my car. I've heard tips as far as using double sided carpet tape, drawer liners, etc to keep the bottom base board from slipping. I will also be using dowel rods throughout each tier and one long dowel through the center of all three tiers to be safe.

Is it possible to transport this three tier cake already assembled and decorated? How do I do it? Also what kind of box should I place it in to make sure it does not fall over? I have some flat open boxes from Costco (the kind they give you when you check out to carry stuff out to your car) that I can use, and lots of cake boxes that I can cut the tops off of.

Also, what is normally done for deliveries? Do most cake decorators assemble on delivery or prior to transporting the cake? I'm worried in my future deliveries that I will seem unprofessional (which I guess technically I am!) if I am decorating and finishing the cakes on site.

7 replies
leah_s Posted 23 Aug 2010 , 4:36pm
post #2 of 8

Well, if you use SPS you can deliver assembled. That's what it was created for. You can purchase it from Oasis Supply or GSA.

sandy1 Posted 23 Aug 2010 , 4:40pm
post #3 of 8

I transport my stacked cakes assembled. The sea shell cake in my photos was delivered this weekend without any problems, (45 minute ride). I place several layers of thick carpet padding with rubber non skid carpet pad between each layer of the foam padding, in the back of my car, (CRV), this helps to absorb some of the bumps and vibrations. I use non skid carpet pad to line the box that my cake is placed in so it doesn't shift. I also put non skid under the box to make sure the box doesn't move on the foam padding while being transported. I always have someone sitting in the back of the car to watch the cake as I drive, letting me know if there is a problem. Bring an emergency decorating kit with you that has icing, decorating bags, etc. so you can touch up any areas if the need arises.

I use dowels between each tier for support then hammer a large dowel down the center of all tiers, keeping them together. I sure hope this makes sense to you. I use the Wilton method for stacking my cakes.

PaulasPastries Posted 23 Aug 2010 , 8:13pm
post #4 of 8

Thank you for your responses! sandy I understand what you mean and this detailed description helps ALOT. I have one question though - where did you use the foam padding that you mention? Also I went to Michael's arts and crafts and my local cake decorating store and the largest dowel rods they have are 12 inches - where can I buy larger ones?

Leah, thank you also for your response! But I have no clue what SPS is - does that stand for Separator Plates?? Ha i feel like such a beginner...

KJ62798 Posted 23 Aug 2010 , 8:19pm
post #5 of 8

You can get longer dowels at hardware places like Home Depot or Lowes. Craft stores also have them but not in the cake section--go to the area where the wood crafts are.

SPS--single plate system (I'm pretty sure, Leah_s is the guru) is a stacking system where the support pillars lock into the plates and then the plates hold the cardboard cake boards w/a sharp center spike that keeps things from sliding. If you use this you don't need to do a center dowel. Check out Leah_s' tutorial for all the details.

I think the foam padding is used as a cushion under the cake box in the back of the car. I use layers of rubber non-skid mat (cut up a yoga mat) to keep cakes from sliding in the van.

leily Posted 23 Aug 2010 , 8:19pm
post #6 of 8
Originally Posted by PaulasPastries

Leah, thank you also for your response! But I have no clue what SPS is - does that stand for Separator Plates?? Ha i feel like such a beginner...

Her arrow in her post is pointing to her signature which is a link to a thread all about the SPS system. she has photos in there too.

Highly recommend this system.

oh and it stands for single plate system

sandy1 Posted 23 Aug 2010 , 8:26pm
post #7 of 8

I purchase my thicker, longer dowels at Michaels Crafts store.

cakelady31 Posted 23 Aug 2010 , 10:29pm
post #8 of 8

I too use the sps system. thumbs_up.gif It's very sturdy and have not a mishap yet!!!

Quote by @%username% on %date%