Mickey Hat & Ears?

Decorating By sweetiepies7 Updated 23 Aug 2010 , 5:31pm by poohsmomma

sweetiepies7 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sweetiepies7 Posted 23 Aug 2010 , 2:27pm
post #1 of 5

I want to make a topper for a tiered cake, a mickey hat with ears.
I need suggestions I have seen rkt and cake as base then covered in fondant? The ears fondant? I am afraid the fondant will be to soft?
I would greatly appreciate and ideas!

4 replies
Crimsicle Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Crimsicle Posted 23 Aug 2010 , 5:16pm
post #2 of 5

I've never had any luck with fondant standing up on its own. It would be gumpaste all the way for me. You'd probably have to paint it after the fact to get the deep black.

TexasSugar Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
TexasSugar Posted 23 Aug 2010 , 5:17pm
post #3 of 5

What about chocolate molds?

Use a half ball to mold the hat, and then smaller balls, trimmed to find against the hat part for the ears.

Pickulz Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Pickulz Posted 23 Aug 2010 , 5:28pm
post #4 of 5

i had a hard time when i did mickey ears...

i had a half ball pan cake for the head..covered in black fondant...and then for the ears i did styrofoam covered in fondnat..but i stuck it with toothpicks in the head..where i think the mistake was..i shud have used something stronger nad longer and made it ho all the way through..
u can take a look in my pics...

poohsmomma Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
poohsmomma Posted 23 Aug 2010 , 5:31pm
post #5 of 5

I've made two, and used fondant with tylose for the ears. I cut out circles and laid them over some small custard cups to curve the edges while they dried. Then I stuck on a skewer and covered it with another piece of fondant so it wouldn't show. I made the hat with half of a sport ball pan.

One thing I did different on the second cake was that I made the hat part out of RKT. The first time I used cake. When I stuck the ears in at an angle, the weight of the ears pulled them down sideways, and the sticks sliced right through the cake and they fell off. Luckily it was just for my granddaughter, I piped some royal icing in the hole and stuck them back in. When I used the RKT, they were very stable. I had to remember to stick a sucker stick into the RKT to make the hole that I later stuck the actual ear/stick into. I didn't want to have to apply too much pressure to the ear when I pushed it in.

Good luck with your MM cake. Be sure to post pix.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%