Stacking Extra Tall Cakes

Decorating By sugarb Updated 24 Aug 2010 , 12:50am by sugarb

sugarb Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sugarb Posted 23 Aug 2010 , 12:47pm
post #1 of 4

When you are stacking xtra tall cakes, where you have a cardboard "hidden" in each layer, how do you do the dowling/sticks? Do you have a hole in the middle of the hidden cardboard and hope you hit it? Do you run a stick through the entire cake? My cakes are 10, 8, and 6", so I am worried I will need xtra dowling support for the double size layers (each layer has 2 - 3" cakes to it). Thanks for any ideas...

3 replies
DianeLM Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
DianeLM Posted 23 Aug 2010 , 1:45pm
post #2 of 4

Extra tall tiers would be treated as any other tiers. The only time I pre-drill the center holes in the cakeboards is when the center dowel is permanently fastened to the base and I have to 'thread' the cakes down over it. If the center dowel goes in after stacking, I just sharpen it and hammer it in. I use foamboard between tiers.

Just make sure you don't place any of your support dowels in the middle and you'll have no problem driving the center dowel in.

kakeladi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kakeladi Posted 23 Aug 2010 , 5:47pm
post #3 of 4

using two 3" layers in one cake does not need extra support.
When you stack another 6" tall cake on it, then yes, one would dowel it the same as any other cake - again, extra support in not needed.

I never like to transport a cake is is so tall and thin. There is just not enough support on the bottom for the weight that is on top. I highly suggest transporting in 2 pieces - adding the top tier on site.

sugarb Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sugarb Posted 24 Aug 2010 , 12:50am
post #4 of 4

Thanks Diane. I haven't used foam board before, but will have a look for it. Hammering down a central dowel seems the easiest solution for me.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%