How Do You Make A Dodge Charger Cake/ Fondant Model?

Decorating By mfac1 Updated 31 Aug 2010 , 2:34pm by mfac1

mfac1 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mfac1 Posted 23 Aug 2010 , 11:11am
post #1 of 5

Hi all,
I stupidly promised my hubby a dodge charger as part of his cake icon_cry.gif . I am thinking about doing a bottom cake as a tire and then on top of that the dodge charger with all the details and trimmings!! Maybe a mechanic on the side in fondant (given all the help I have received on making models recently on other posts). Has anyone ever attempted something like this or has anyone got any advice as to how to do it?

I'll try anything - I have either until Fathers day to do it or 2nd week of October - most likely it will be a Fathers day cake surprise though....

Also he wants the car in magenta - anyone know of where to get this colour or make it?
thanks!

4 replies
mfac1 Posted 28 Aug 2010 , 9:42am
post #2 of 5

Anyone have any thoughts or is this a really big project?

tesso Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tesso Posted 28 Aug 2010 , 2:07pm
post #3 of 5

1st. you can either buy magenta coloring from americolor or you can make it using red and purple.

2nd. My hubby wants a dodge charger too! He had a magenta one with grey stripes on the hood and a turbo. men and their cars icon_lol.gif

3rd. I had thought about making it out of carved cake, but was kind of thinking along the route of maybe making a car tire and then modeling the car out of gumpaste/fondant, icon_eek.gif I can just imagine the weight of it !! icon_eek.gif and putting it on top of the tire. I had also thought about making a hub cap for the tire as well. so that the car wasnt just sitting on black fondant with the words firestone around it. icon_lol.gif

I hope someone else has some ideas too.

Price Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Price Posted 28 Aug 2010 , 11:16pm
post #4 of 5

My husband has a 67 barracuda convertible. Back when I first started playing around with modeling, he wanted a model of his car for on top of a cake. That was back in 2006. I took a solid piece of fondant and started shaping it. It didn't come out to be the exact shape of the real car, but he was still very pleased. It lasted forever! I even changed his hat to a Santa hat for Christmas that year! icon_smile.gif

That was back before everyone was using rice krispy treats for modeling things. If I was trying it today, I think I would give the rice krispys a try.

Mike McCarey has a DVD out teaching how to carve a cake into a car. I haven't purchased it yet, but would love to buy it and surprise my husband with a car cake for his next Birthday!

mfac1 Posted 31 Aug 2010 , 2:34pm
post #5 of 5

Thanks for all the information esp. around the DVD from Mike McCarey. Hubby agreed that I could buy it although I didn't mention it was approx. 52AUD. I really hope it has everything in it!! Turns out the car is a Valiant Charger 1972 VH not a Dodge Chargericon_smile.gif what do i know? all i care about with cars is that it gets me where I want to go.
Has anyone bought the DVD and is there anything you want to share from your experiences? How long does it take to come?

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%