Question For The Pro's :)

Baking By adventuregal Updated 31 Aug 2010 , 7:45pm by Jenniferkay

adventuregal Posted 23 Aug 2010 , 8:55am
post #1 of 18

I'm about to start going around to the local coffee shops to see if I can get my cupcakes sold through them. I'm wondering if anyone has this sort of arrangement and if so how do you package your products? And if you have cupcakes with things like lemon curd and other dairy products do you have to tell them to refrigerate them or will they be ok in a display case?
TIA!!!
<3

17 replies
peg818 Posted 23 Aug 2010 , 9:50am
post #2 of 18

Frankly, if making for someone else to sell, i wouldn't do any perishable fillings. You just don't have any control over how they are stored.

Jenniferkay Posted 23 Aug 2010 , 7:34pm
post #3 of 18

i box mine with no perishable fillings...in fact I don't do fillings for those cupcakes. I do two flavors per week. Boxed in 4 packs. Some are boxed as single flavor, some are boxed as mixed. I work off of what cakes I have going out that week. People can keep up with what flavors I'm bringing in through my FB page. The store bought a case b/c they wanted to offer singles too, so I do about 3-4 of each flavor for singles.

My cards, pictures of cakes and portfolio are right there were my cuppies are. I also have a sign that says cakes available on order. All my boxes have my info on them in accordance with regs along with labeled ingredient info.

adventuregal Posted 25 Aug 2010 , 12:07am
post #4 of 18

JenniferKay-when you sell them does the coffee house get a small portion of the profit?

Jenniferkay Posted 25 Aug 2010 , 12:45am
post #5 of 18

yes. we do 30% and no "rental" space fees. I've gotten loads of business, so totally worth the expense.

adventuregal Posted 26 Aug 2010 , 8:03am
post #6 of 18

wow that sounds great-I'm glad its good business for you! That gives me inspiration icon_smile.gif When you do the boxes, do you put inserts into them? I'm looking at wholesalers right now and thinking inserts are probably necessary...

LindaF144a Posted 26 Aug 2010 , 12:30pm
post #7 of 18
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jenniferkay

yes. we do 30% and no "rental" space fees. I've gotten loads of business, so totally worth the expense.

Does this mean you get 30% of the retail price and they don't charge you a rental fee? So do you take back what doesn't sell? And this works better for you than selling them wholesale to the coffee shop?

1234me Posted 26 Aug 2010 , 3:37pm
post #8 of 18

I am so sorry to butt into this post icon_smile.gif but I am about to approach a local coffee shop about this same thing. May I ask - do you do jumbo cupcakes or regular size? I have a cake order for the local coffee shop owner and he has ordered several things from me in the past so he obviously likes my product. I am just hoping to possibly work some sort of agreement with him and just still in the "brainstorming" phase of it! Any words of advice would be much appreciated! icon_smile.gif

Jenniferkay Posted 26 Aug 2010 , 5:51pm
post #9 of 18

It means that if there is $243 in sales for the month I take home $170.10. I can take back what doesn't sell, it's usually not much b/c I try to put in minimal so I don't have waste. They also know that if something sells out right away I can replenish in an hour or two, if I have time. This is the agreement we came up with... I'm more in charge of what I put in and set my own price. They don't order this and that, I put in what I want. This gives me freedom to change my flavors every week in accordance to what flavors of cake I'm doing for that week so I can use extra batter or only have to make just a couple of recipes instead of a gazillion.

1234me Posted 26 Aug 2010 , 6:01pm
post #10 of 18

Are they Jumbo or regular size? thank you for your response above - very helpful.

Jenniferkay Posted 26 Aug 2010 , 6:42pm
post #11 of 18

regular size

1234me Posted 26 Aug 2010 , 6:46pm
post #12 of 18

thanks jennifer! I am still debating on whether to make the jumbo or regular! I make regular for my customers now but they are for birthday parties, etc. I think I need to go with jumbo in a coffe shop that also serves lunch because people would probably buy one and split it!

Jenniferkay Posted 26 Aug 2010 , 6:48pm
post #13 of 18

yeah, if you're mainly selling just singles then I'd go with a jumbo. since mine are primarily in boxed 4's, I do the regular.

leah_s Posted 26 Aug 2010 , 6:56pm
post #14 of 18

I'd do a single so that customers CAN'T split it. More $ sales.

Jenniferkay Posted 26 Aug 2010 , 7:59pm
post #15 of 18

if you charge more for the jumbo any way wouldn't you make $? But doing regular size -2 people could get 2 different flavors and share and feel like they got to sample more!

LindaF144a Posted 26 Aug 2010 , 9:00pm
post #16 of 18
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jenniferkay

It means that if there is $243 in sales for the month I take home $170.10. I can take back what doesn't sell, it's usually not much b/c I try to put in minimal so I don't have waste. They also know that if something sells out right away I can replenish in an hour or two, if I have time. This is the agreement we came up with... I'm more in charge of what I put in and set my own price. They don't order this and that, I put in what I want. This gives me freedom to change my flavors every week in accordance to what flavors of cake I'm doing for that week so I can use extra batter or only have to make just a couple of recipes instead of a gazillion.

Thanks for the clarification. I read it to mean that you take 30%, but you get 70%. Great set up, congratulations!

adventuregal Posted 30 Aug 2010 , 7:41am
post #17 of 18

JenniferK-
I found some shops that are interested in talking to me further which I couldn't be more excited about, but I feel so overwhelmed and thought I'd come back and as you a few more questions (if you don't mind icon_biggrin.gif)
I'm mostly wondering if you have a contract drawn up with the shop? When I meet with them I want to seem like I know what I'm doing (hehe) so any advice would be wonderful.
TIA

Jenniferkay Posted 31 Aug 2010 , 7:45pm
post #18 of 18

The shop I'm in are friends. We never drew anything up. They called me, said we want cupcakes, I said ok. We look at it as a type of consignor contract. In that I get paid once a month, they take a commission and what doesn't sell is up to me to do something with. In this way we all felt we had control, they didn't have to worry about excess food and I could bake whatever I felt like.

When I did this before, it was really a cupcake shop and we did buy things wholesale. I hated having all these cookies or gluten-free items that weren't selling out. The cookies were a you buy it, that's it. The special diet items we got credit back for for items that didn't sell. She brought them in every week, took what didn't sell and credited it to the next weeks invoice; we'd then pay for what she was bringing in minus any credit....make sense? It was confusing, but it worked.

Talk with the owners, see where they're head's at. You have two options...wholesale or a type of consignment deal. Good Luck.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%