How Many Of You Have A Full Time Job And Still Cake?

Decorating By TiffySue Updated 25 Aug 2010 , 9:20am by mombabytiger

tesso Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tesso Posted 24 Aug 2010 , 11:51pm
post #31 of 38

there was once a time when I had a two full time jobs and two part time jobs .. AT THE SAME TIME!! I worked the part time jobs on the weekends. Yes, I am an insomniac. I learned that I could work 9 hours, come home nap for 30 minutes then hit the second job. For 4 years I had no life. Then I replaced one job with college. icon_biggrin.gif (and still ended up with student loans!! icon_cry.gif )

Luckily, I worked one full time and one part time job with my hubby.. or I would have never seen him.

I have learned that their comes a time in ones life when you have to say.. what the F**K am I doing this for? That usually come about when you realize that you just have nothing else left in you to give.

So now I work aobut 60 hours a week m-f and do cakes when ever I can squeeze them in. icon_biggrin.gif

luvmysmoother Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
luvmysmoother Posted 25 Aug 2010 , 12:37am
post #32 of 38

I work full time, school part time and cakes (usually three a week) Several nights per week I'm up until 2:00am and LOVE it - it's worth the loss of sleep to do what I love (work and school are things I need to do - cakes are what I love to do) People who can make a living on doing what they love are extremely luckyicon_smile.gificon_smile.gificon_smile.gif

michel30014 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
michel30014 Posted 25 Aug 2010 , 2:19am
post #33 of 38

Well, I work the full time in customer service. It's an 8-5 job and still cake. But, my life also includes school activities like jmy daughter's jr high chorus and son's HS aAime and Creative writing clubs. Plus, we have church on Sunday mornings and Wednesday nights that we can not miss because both my husband and son work the sound and lighting booth at church.

I manage to still cake however, not as much as I'd like. I can only do it part time. But, I love it so I manage to make the time to cake. Because I know if I want to get better at what I love that I really have to put in some practice time.

Good luck!!!

Brendabeeper Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Brendabeeper Posted 25 Aug 2010 , 2:55am
post #34 of 38

I work 34 hour wk job, and have a special needs son that takes alot of work. Most my caking is done after 8:30 pm, son is mostly settled for the evening . My cakes sometimes keep me up till 2 or 3am to get done, I try to have my cakes done by noon Saturday so not to take away too much from family time. I try to take no more then 2 cakes a week, and mostly stick to one a week. Keeps me in practice, and I love it. (Now if I could keep away from CC I might have time to do another cake. ) lol

foodguy Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
foodguy Posted 25 Aug 2010 , 2:57am
post #35 of 38

In my "prime" years I decorated in a large centralized city bakery with 6 locations. I worked in the decorating room with one other Master Decorator and 3 icers. In busy times we had more help for up to 30 weddings and hundreds of cakes a week. I worked from 5:30 am until 2:00 pm unless there was overtime. From there I drove across the city to a smaller bakery and decorated their
cakes-usually from 2:30 until 6-6:30.
Drove an hour home and began work in our own home based cake/catering business with my wife.
She is a licensed nurse and worked full time also.
My big regret is that I literally wore my hands, wrists and knees out by working so many hours.
If I had it to do over again..........I probably would!

dholdenrn Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
dholdenrn Posted 25 Aug 2010 , 3:24am
post #36 of 38

I am a registered nurse and work full time teaching high school...I go to graduate school full time and make about six cakes a week. Between my homework, lesson plans for my students and making cakes, I hardly have time to breathe, but I love it!

G_Cakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
G_Cakes Posted 25 Aug 2010 , 4:05am
post #37 of 38

I work full time evenings for Onstar...and when I'm not unlocking your doors, running a veh diagnostic or giving you directions to the nearest back gas station, back machine or highway I am baking cakes LOL

It can be stressful (baking that is) but I LOVE IT!!!!!

mombabytiger Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mombabytiger Posted 25 Aug 2010 , 9:20am
post #38 of 38

I tried but quit when I realized I was so stressed that something I love to do was now just a chore. I'm sure we've all had those "up in the middle of the night crying with royal icing in every pore of your body" moments!

Now I just bake. But hats off to ladies who do both! And LOL at the contact lenses post. I stopped wearing contacts and make-up years ago. And cut my hair short. Ah - freedom!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%