What Do I Need To Know To Cut Recipes In Half?

Decorating By Donnabugg Updated 23 Aug 2010 , 11:01pm by Donnabugg

Donnabugg Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Donnabugg Posted 23 Aug 2010 , 1:48am
post #1 of 7

There are several recipes I'm wanting to try out but I don't want to waste money nor do I have the room to freeze a lot of leftovers. Can I half recipes like wasc cakes, etc? If so then do I just divide ingredients exactly in half? Thanks!

6 replies
Crimsicle Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Crimsicle Posted 23 Aug 2010 , 2:19am
post #2 of 7

I do this all the time, but I don't know if there's something one should take into consideration when doing so. I just blunder ahead!

What I do is weigh everything in grams. That's so much easier to do than figure out what half of a third of a cup is! I sat down one day and weighed a cup of pretty much everything I use - unsifted flour, sifted flour, cake flour, all kinds of sugars, all kinds of fats...the whole 9 yards. I recorded the gram weights for that starting point. (I didn't fool with teaspoons and tablespoons, but sometimes I think I should.) Then, it's just a matter of doing the math. I made a chart of tiny measurements on up to larger ones - and did oddball things like a third and two-thirds - and I keep that laminated chart with my recipes. I use those recorded weights to turn my recipes into grids, too. The original amounts in the first column, half a recipe in the next column, whole recipe in the next column, double recipe in the last column. Then, I can easily make whatever quantity I want. So far, it's worked just fine.

scp1127 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
scp1127 Posted 23 Aug 2010 , 8:39am
post #3 of 7

Good math skills... being able to figure half of 1/3 for example. There are 8 ounces in a cup, so that is 1.3 oz, or 1/6 cup.

Donnabugg Posted 23 Aug 2010 , 6:22pm
post #4 of 7
Quote:
Originally Posted by scp1127

Good math skills... being able to figure half of 1/3 for example. There are 8 ounces in a cup, so that is 1.3 oz, or 1/6 cup.

Alas, this is what's been holding me back! lol

leily Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
leily Posted 23 Aug 2010 , 6:42pm
post #5 of 7
Quote:
Originally Posted by Donnabugg

Quote:
Originally Posted by scp1127

Alas, this is what's been holding me back! lol

And the cups to ounces works for liquids, but you can't do that with flour and dry ingredients, if you aren't useing weights you need to break it down into Tablespoons etc...

This magnet is one of my top 5 kitchen tools i use all the time.
http://www.kitchenkrafts.com/product.asp?pn=BE0123

ohhhh and i see they have something new, this may help take most of the math out of it (not exactly sure how it works though)
http://www.kitchenkrafts.com/product.asp?pn=BE8680

TexasSugar Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
TexasSugar Posted 23 Aug 2010 , 6:49pm
post #6 of 7

Yes the WASC cake recipe can be halved. Just use one cake mix and half everything else in it.

Donnabugg Posted 23 Aug 2010 , 11:01pm
post #7 of 7

Thanks everyone thumbs_up.gif

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%