Help!! Cake Trouble!

Decorating By prettycakelady Updated 23 Aug 2010 , 4:17pm by prettycakelady

prettycakelady Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
prettycakelady Posted 22 Aug 2010 , 11:35pm
post #1 of 5

Hello,

I have a large cake order coming up this Saturday and need some advice. I baked a 6in square cake this weekend using MagicLine pans. I used Pillsbury Classic White mix and mixed according to directions. I baked the cake at 325 for 50 minutes. I checked the cake for doneness with a wooden skewer and it came out clean. When I removed the cake from the pan, the bottom part felt rubbery when touched, and sunk in the middle. I pinched a piece of the edges and they were fluffy and soft, the way cake should look. Ive never had this problem before. Can anyone offer any advice? I have several cakes to bake for church this coming weekend.

4 replies
peg818 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
peg818 Posted 22 Aug 2010 , 11:58pm
post #2 of 5

have you checked your oven temp?? If you have an electric oven are all the elements working. Seems like an awful long time to get a 6incher done.

prettycakelady Posted 23 Aug 2010 , 12:36am
post #3 of 5

Its a gas stove. I will have the temperature checked.

sweettreat101 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sweettreat101 Posted 23 Aug 2010 , 6:54am
post #4 of 5

I don't like Pillsbury cake mixes. I will only use them for cupcakes if they are really cheap. I only use Betty Crocker or Duncan hines for cakes. I have never had success with Pillsbury same problems you are complaining of. Walmart sells Betty Crocker for .88 a box so this is what I use and have no problems. I can even sculpt cakes using Betty with nothing added.

prettycakelady Posted 23 Aug 2010 , 4:17pm
post #5 of 5

Thank you so much! I am thinking the 1 full cup of pudding in the mix is causing the problem. I think Betty Crocker has less pudding in it. I will buy a box this afternoon and test it before Friday. What are some of your favorite flavors?

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%