How Do I Make Hydrangea Bushes?

Decorating By nanacakez Updated 24 Aug 2010 , 8:00pm by kseevers

nanacakez Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
nanacakez Posted 22 Aug 2010 , 6:38pm
post #1 of 11

Ok, Im making a wedding cake based on a picture the bride gave me, its a 4 tier white square cake with scroll work, and has bunches of hydrangeas on it. Ive started to make the hydrangeas one by one.....by one....icon_cry.gifbut heres my question, when im done making the 300+ hydrangeas any specific way to make the bushes? or should i just use floral tape to tape the wire stems? Thanks....! icon_biggrin.gif

10 replies
KJ62798 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
KJ62798 Posted 22 Aug 2010 , 6:48pm
post #2 of 11

Are you doing gumpaste hydrangeas? Every tutorial that I've seen for that shows how to make a bajillion of the individual 4-petal flowers and then those are wired together to make a the bunch for a big hydrangea ball.

I've done hydrangeas in BC using a big 2D tip and a bag double loaded w/color.

Here's one of the cakes in my gallery:
http://cakecentral.com/modules.php?name=gallery&file=displayimage&pid=1764166

I just did a tiered baby shower cake w/hydrangeas. It's not in my gallery yet--I'll try to attach it.

KJ62798 Posted 22 Aug 2010 , 6:48pm
post #3 of 11

OK--attachments still not working. I'll get up in my gallery & then post the link.

KJ

EDIT: Here's the link:
http://www.cakecentral.com/cake-photo_1781037.html

kj

nanacakez Posted 23 Aug 2010 , 11:51am
post #4 of 11

Those are gorgeous! What do you think abt using silk hydrangeas? The hydrangeas in the cake the bride showed me are placed around the base of the cake...and they look so real, i cant get mine to look like that. I asked my florist and she said they would wilt if i used real ones, and the tips may be poisinous, im considering buying silk ones.....?

TexasSugar Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
TexasSugar Posted 23 Aug 2010 , 5:33pm
post #5 of 11

I watched Nic Lodge do these a few years ago in a demo. I basicly taped 3 or 4 flowers/buds together into bunches. Then too those bunches and taped them together to get the bigger blossom affect.

nanacakez Posted 23 Aug 2010 , 9:42pm
post #6 of 11

I have to make 5 bunches of hydrangeas icon_mad.gif i think im going with silk flowers they look so much more real. Anybody use silk in their wedding cakes?

KJ62798 Posted 24 Aug 2010 , 4:25am
post #7 of 11

I think if the bride is OK with it, silk would be fine.

Real hydrangeas are pretty delicate as cut flowers. I had some in centerpiece arrangements a few months ago and they were the first flowers to fade--very quickly in some cases.

Kristy

TexasSugar Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
TexasSugar Posted 24 Aug 2010 , 7:14pm
post #8 of 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by KJ62798

Real hydrangeas are pretty delicate as cut flowers. I had some in centerpiece arrangements a few months ago and they were the first flowers to fade--very quickly in some cases.

Kristy

Did you know if you out wilted hydrangaes in hot water it revives them?

KJ62798 Posted 24 Aug 2010 , 7:35pm
post #9 of 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by TexasSugar

Quote:
Originally Posted by KJ62798

Kristy

Did you know if you out wilted hydrangaes in hot water it revives them?

Good to know. I was told to burn the stems so the sap wouldn't poison the other flowers in the vase. Some held up better than others but they all faded much faster than rest.

K

cutthecake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cutthecake Posted 24 Aug 2010 , 7:44pm
post #10 of 11

You could probably buy pre-made gumpaste flowers, too, and save a ton of time.

kseevers Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kseevers Posted 24 Aug 2010 , 8:00pm
post #11 of 11

I am so glad I saw this. I had the same question for a wedding cake coming up. I had been debating on making them and then the bride decided that she was using some fake ones in her decor, so she wanted to use the same on the cake. I was relieved. The fake ones can look very 'real'.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%