Newbie Wants To Know How To Make A Tier Cake

Decorating By msTeenie Updated 23 Aug 2010 , 1:34am by tastyart

msTeenie Posted 22 Aug 2010 , 6:19pm
post #1 of 4

Im thinking of making my daughters carnival cake. I want 2 tiers with little figurines between the tiers. What do i use to insure its strong enough to hold the top tier. If i cant get it ill order it but i like to try first. any and all advice is greatly appreciated.

3 replies
BethLS Posted 22 Aug 2010 , 9:33pm
post #2 of 4

Hello and welcome to CC!

First off, super theme! I think it'd be a lot of fun to do two tiers and have a merry go round in the center...take a look at the cakes here on CC. Im sure you can find something for inspiration here. icon_biggrin.gif

If you've never done these types of cake before, well, I would suggest strongly in leaving it to the professionals. It will in the end save you soo much headache.

That said, a two tier custom cake can run you well-up into the triple digits!

tokazodo Posted 23 Aug 2010 , 12:19am
post #3 of 4

If you have an interest in cake decorating, you have to start somewhere! Wilton has a nice year book out. It tells you how to stack and tier cakes. Youtube can also be a good source for for seeing how cakes are stacked and tiered. I would suggest looking up Edna De La Cruz. She has a tutorial on stacking cakes. She makes it look so painless and easy, but don't be fooled. Watch the video over and over again, taking in each little detail she does. That's where you pick up some tricks of the trade.
If you've not done it before, I would start small, just two tiers. There is a difference between stacking tiers and separating tiers. Take your time, be sure your layers are level, and make sure each tier is level before you go on to the next step.
Don't be afraid to try something new. There are plenty of tutorials here on this sight also, you just need to shop around for them.

We all had to start somewhere! Everyone of us made our first cake, and our first tiered and stacked cake.
Good Luck! Post a photo so we can see how you made out!

tastyart Posted 23 Aug 2010 , 1:34am
post #4 of 4

Welcome to cake central!

I'm with tokazodo, you've got to start somewhere.

Quote by @%username% on %date%