Charging Friends.......

Baking By nicksmom Updated 24 Aug 2010 , 9:06pm by nicksmom

nicksmom Posted 22 Aug 2010 , 3:44pm
post #1 of 8

Ok I have to make a carved yacht plus a sheet cake all made out of pound cake and cream cheese icing,covered in fondant and its for my sisters friend whom I know too,but am feeling bad for charging to much,and this is going to be some work,so I'm going with $200.00................any input anybody?

7 replies
Occther Posted 22 Aug 2010 , 4:01pm
post #2 of 8

How many servings? Have you made a cake for this person before?

nicksmom Posted 23 Aug 2010 , 2:08pm
post #3 of 8

75-80 servings is what it will be and she has seen my cakes before and says she doesn't care if its costly but i'm still not icon_confused.gif

Texas_Rose Posted 23 Aug 2010 , 3:07pm
post #4 of 8

Charge enough for your supplies, time and trouble. You don't want to be the cheap cake girl who everyone feels lucky to know, but takes advantage of. Keep in mind too that if you have to carve a lot, you're going to be baking more servings than you really end up with and that will mean using more supplies.

leily Posted 23 Aug 2010 , 3:16pm
post #5 of 8

I have a standard % off that i give family and friends. It works better for me because i don't have to worry about hurting anyones feelings and I don't have to worry about it everytime

TexasSugar Posted 23 Aug 2010 , 6:16pm
post #6 of 8

If you ask me to make a cake, then you pay me, full price. If I offer, then it is free.

I only do free cakes for my family (parents, brother, nephew, grandma) and my best friend's two kids, that's it. And when I do those I get a say of how big and I pick the final design with in their theme.

Do not get in the practice of charging less because you are scared to charge more. There is alot of time, not to mention money that goes into making a cake. It is only fair to you to get paid for that time away from your life and family and the supplies you used on the cake.

KayMc Posted 24 Aug 2010 , 12:26am
post #7 of 8

Well said, Texas Sugar! Great advice!

nicksmom Posted 24 Aug 2010 , 9:06pm
post #8 of 8

I agree texas sugar too!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%