Removing Cocoa

Baking By stacey71 Updated 26 Aug 2010 , 11:55am by LindaF144a

stacey71 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
stacey71 Posted 22 Aug 2010 , 4:05am
post #1 of 5

Im trying to turn my chocolate cake recipe into a white cake recipe. Do I just omit the cocoa or do I need to replace it with something like flour or baking powder ect.? The recipe calls for 1 and a half cups of unsweetened cocoa powder.

Thanks so much
Stacey

4 replies
scp1127 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
scp1127 Posted 25 Aug 2010 , 10:09am
post #2 of 5

I think you should just get a yellow cake recipe.

LindaF144a Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
LindaF144a Posted 25 Aug 2010 , 1:49pm
post #3 of 5
Quote:
Originally Posted by stacey71

Im trying to turn my chocolate cake recipe into a white cake recipe. Do I just omit the cocoa or do I need to replace it with something like flour or baking powder ect.? The recipe calls for 1 and a half cups of unsweetened cocoa powder.

Thanks so much
Stacey

If you have your heart set on this one, then omit the cocoa and put back in the same equivalent in flour. It is probably volume, but if you have a weight scale I would try weight first. What is the flour amount? And also what is the sugar amount?

Also what is the leavening and other ingredients. Depending on acidic ingredients or not, you will need to change that also. And be prepared to do more than one batch to finally get it right.

scp1127 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
scp1127 Posted 26 Aug 2010 , 1:04am
post #4 of 5

Adding cocoa is adding flavor. My concern is that by just adding flour, you aren't really adding flavor and it might not be the best tasting cake.

LindaF144a Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
LindaF144a Posted 26 Aug 2010 , 11:55am
post #5 of 5
Quote:
Originally Posted by scp1127

Adding cocoa is adding flavor. My concern is that by just adding flour, you aren't really adding flavor and it might not be the best tasting cake.

That depends. What is the objective of taking out the cocoa? Is it to get a base to add another flavor? Is it because she thinks it would be a good tasting yellow cake? It also depends greatly on the recipe. That is why when questions like this are asked, it is best to post the recipe also.

chocolate cake is a yellow cake base that has been altered by the addition of cocoa, the subtraction of the equivalent flour and a few other minor adjustments of leavening and maybe eggs to get a chocolate cake.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%