Cake Schizophrenia (Long)

Decorating By Bethkay Updated 22 Aug 2010 , 1:27pm by susieqhomemaker

Bethkay Posted 22 Aug 2010 , 2:11am
post #1 of 3

A woman called me yesterday requesting a Daffy Duck cake. I explained that I could place a licensed edible image or figurine on the cake and asked if I could call her back after researching the availability of images, etc., because Daffy Duck is an older character. She was vague on the size of cake she wanted, but I figured I would pin her down on that later.

When we touched base again she hemmed and hawed about Daffy Duck and then asked me if I could put Michael Jackson on the cake! Foolish me! I assumed Daffy Duck meant the cake was for a small child--but Michael Jackson? I was getting confused. Anyway, I told her I doubted that there were any legal images of MJ out there that I could use. The conversation was getting a little weird and I was beginning to wonder if this gal was right in the head. She then said she would call me back--I kind of hoped she wouldn't!

A short time later, she calls me and says she is ready to place her order. I had my doubts and didn't want to waste an order form, so I just listened. And guess what? The cake has changed again! Now she wants a two-tier cake--one tier strawberry and one tier lemon. And now, she wants the cake covered in hot pink fondant! At this point, I am pretty sure she is certifiable. Lucky for me, I don't cover my cakes in fondant, so I gave her the names of a few other bakers in the area--with a small twinge of guilt because I can just imagine how those calls will go. But at least I was done with her...or so I thought until my phone rang today and it was her again. I said a short prayer and put on my nicest voice for round 4.

This time, she wants two 6-inch cakes icon_confused.gif--one cake lemon and the other marble. When I asked if she had any decorating scheme in mind, she tells me flowers on one cake (she hasn't a clue what type of flowers) and fireworks on the other cake. My alarm bells were going off like crazy, and I politely told her I just didn't think I was creative enough to help her.

No way I am picking up that phone tomorrow without closely checking the caller ID!

2 replies
Irish245 Posted 22 Aug 2010 , 4:02am
post #2 of 3

Yeah, I think I would be avoiding that call at all costs! Let us know what the next chapter is, if you do end up taking the call of she leaves a crazy message!

susieqhomemaker Posted 22 Aug 2010 , 1:27pm
post #3 of 3

I think the title of your post aptly describes her craziness! Good thing you realized she wouldn't be a good customer to work with, and sent her on her way. thumbs_up.gif

Quote by @%username% on %date%