Wrapping And Selling

Business By rwarren Updated 24 Aug 2010 , 4:12am by cheatize

rwarren Posted 22 Aug 2010 , 1:48am
post #1 of 8

Dear CakeCentral,

I have noticed a trend here that is starting to bother me.

Mom and I rent tables at church flea markets and used to have one at our local farmer's market. At each of our sales, we wrap our goodies before we get there. We feel this is more hygienic, it protects items during transport, and we think it makes our goodies look more professional. Yes it means a lot of saran wrap and baggies, and the odd plastic container.

We visit other markets and sales around the city, and notice that many vendors are not wrapping their items at all. Baked goods are fully exposed to customers and their paws (and if outdoors, to insects and weather). This turns us off big time.

Why then do these vendors have better sales than we do? We have had almost no complaints about our packaging, just one or two "environmentally friendly" people. A few people even hand back the little foil tart pans thinking they can be reused.

Any thoughts on this?

7 replies
kansaslaura Posted 22 Aug 2010 , 2:26am
post #2 of 8

I have set up at farmer's markets and have always packaged my bread, cookies, pies, etc. We have set rules and I'm pretty sure packaging items is one of them, I'd have to check.

Without seeing how you're doing your packaging, etc it's hard to make a call. I always made them as attractive as possible. Never a paper plate covered with plastic wrap or anything like that. Never a ziplock bag full of cookies. It's got to be appealing to the eye down to the packaging. A nice crisp look draws you in and implys a much better product.

jason_kraft Posted 22 Aug 2010 , 3:53am
post #3 of 8
Quote:
Originally Posted by rwarren

we think it makes our goodies look more professional. Yes it means a lot of saran wrap and baggies

These two statements do not belong in the same post.

You will want to invest in packaging that suits your products. Bread bags for bread, plastic clamshells or windowed boxes for cupcakes/cookies, cake boxes for cakes, etc. Take a look at brpboxshop.com and plasticcontainercity.com if you don't have a local restaurant supply store.

kansaslaura Posted 22 Aug 2010 , 4:03am
post #4 of 8
Quote:
Originally Posted by jasonkraft

Quote:
Originally Posted by rwarren

we think it makes our goodies look more professional. Yes it means a lot of saran wrap and baggies

These two statements do not belong in the same post.

You will want to invest in packaging that suits your products. Bread bags for bread, plastic clamshells or windowed boxes for cupcakes/cookies, cake boxes for cakes, etc. Take a look at brpboxshop.com and plasticcontainercity.com if you don't have a local restaurant supply store.

Thanks Jason, you said what I was trying to only much better!. I buy all of my boxes from brp. They've got a plain brown line now that looks so nice tied with a ribbon or raffia. Bread is put into bread bags, tied with ribbon. All items have tags made just for that product with the ingredients listed. (and I mean printed labels, not had written ones.)

snowshoe1 Posted 22 Aug 2010 , 10:28am
post #5 of 8

Personally, I wouldn't buy from those other vendors (maybe I'm OCD but I don't even like to go through public buffets which I refer to as 'sneeze bars').
Keep wrapping your goodies! For your little items you can buy different sizes of cellophane bags from the vendors listed above and others. All you have to do is slip the item into the bag and put the tie on the top.
I'm suprised the other vendors are allowed to sell their goods unwrapped, around here we are supposed to use closed containers (even for bridal show freebies).

motherofgrace Posted 23 Aug 2010 , 6:42pm
post #6 of 8

At my farmers market, I would be shut down for that!

I buy all my packaging from ********************  .... Well worth the money, and alot of bags ect have multi uses for me.

motherofgrace Posted 23 Aug 2010 , 9:36pm
post #7 of 8

sorry that was ********************

cheatize Posted 24 Aug 2010 , 4:12am
post #8 of 8

In Ohio, they have to be packaged at the time of sale.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%