So Angry!

Decorating By mindy1204 Updated 22 Aug 2010 , 11:27pm by mindy1204

mindy1204 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mindy1204 Posted 21 Aug 2010 , 9:49pm
post #1 of 24

I started a local chapter of free cake for kids in our town. I had a call from a case manager asking for a cake for a Quiencenra for 100 people. Originally I said no that wasnt possible, as these are free cakes made my volunteers. The called back and asked again and I found 2 other volunteers besides myself to make a 3 tier cake. It was 6,10 and 12 and I told the child that this was as big as it could be. I spoke with her a few weeks ago and she said the party had grown to 150 and could I do that. I stated again no that wasnt possible but if she wanted cupcakes we could do that. She said no to the cupcakes so I told her ok then it will be the 3 tier as stated.

They also wanted pink, fuscia, yellow and purple flowers. One of my volunteers bought the fake flowers and the other bought yellow ribbon. I assembeled the cake and I thought it turned out well considering each person baked a tier and it was done at seperate houses and all brought to me.

Anyway the delivery was today. I walked in with the cake and took it out of the box, the grand mother was standing there and said is this all there is. I said yes I told your grandaughter and the case manager that all it would be was a 3 tier cake. She then proceeds to speak to someone else in spanish so I dont know what was said. She then says the colors are not right. I said well these are the colors your granddaughter told me. She said no they arent and proceeded to pull the flowers out of the cake, smudging the buttercream.

I just picked up my box and left, I am so upset people are so ungreatful. Even my 9 yr old who was with me said wow Mom anyone would love that cake.

It is a poor pict from my cell phone but I will try to attach it.

23 replies
mindy1204 Posted 21 Aug 2010 , 9:56pm
post #2 of 24
stacey71 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
stacey71 Posted 21 Aug 2010 , 10:19pm
post #3 of 24

It never ceases to amaze me how incredibly rude and low class some people are. Im really sorry that happened to you. The cake is beautiful.

DefyGravity Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
DefyGravity Posted 21 Aug 2010 , 10:22pm
post #4 of 24

Ugh, I truly hate "no good deed goes unpunished" situations. I think the cake turned out well, and considering they're the one asking for a handout, they should have just kept their mouths shut if they didn't like it. Ungrateful people make my blood boil.

Is there any way you could put a limit on the size of the order in the future?

Moondance Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Moondance Posted 21 Aug 2010 , 10:28pm
post #5 of 24

I think your cake is lovely, the colours blend really well. I'm sorry your recipient has no manners and no grace - does she realise how much a cake like that would have cost her if she had to pay for it?

I would have walked away with the cake and left them to it!
Ungrateful so and so's!

mindy1204 Posted 21 Aug 2010 , 10:31pm
post #6 of 24

We normally just do a 8 or 10 inch. We did this as a favor.. lesson learned for sure.

Marina Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Marina Posted 21 Aug 2010 , 10:51pm
post #7 of 24

I would have walked away with the cake and left them to it!
Ungrateful so and so's![/quote]

Ditto thumbs_up.gifthumbs_up.gifthumbs_up.gif

Gingoodies Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Gingoodies Posted 21 Aug 2010 , 11:22pm
post #8 of 24

This may sound harsh.. but why on earth would you do a free cake for a party of 100 PEOPLE!?? and then its gets upped to 150 PEOPLE!! Isn't the idea of "Free Cakes for Kids" supposed to be providing cakes to families who cannot afford the luxury of a decorated cake? IMO, If they can make a party for that many people, they certainly could have afforded a cake.

quilting2011 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
quilting2011 Posted 21 Aug 2010 , 11:23pm
post #9 of 24

They should not complain getting a that free cake-it is nice work by the way.

Your talented and no one should put you down for getting a free cake. You put in time and effort into your cakes. I looked at your photos.

After that incident, if anyone ask for free cakes from you. cakes, Tell them contact the local bakery or costco for a free cake.

campayven Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
campayven Posted 21 Aug 2010 , 11:26pm
post #10 of 24

I would have taken the cake and walked away.
You really didtn go into detail about this group you have put together- Maybe you could just make free cakes for families in need! Or have teh families meet some type of requirement. Sounds like this family shouldn't have even been considered for this cake. What a waste of your time. I am so sorry that you had to go through this.

mindy1204 Posted 21 Aug 2010 , 11:36pm
post #11 of 24

It is a national organization and I started the local chapter. www.freecakesforkids.com. We normally only do the smaller cakes. At first I said no I wouldnt do one that big. After 2 phone calls and 2 other volunteers agreeing to help we agreed to do it. We really only made one tier each so I kind of justified it that way. As I said lesson learned. We have in the past not been thanked but we have never had someone be so outright rude.

costumeczar Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
costumeczar Posted 21 Aug 2010 , 11:37pm
post #12 of 24

You should just limit it to brithday cakes and a standard size, but it sounds like that's what you normally do anyway. Sorry that some ungrateful jerk left a bad taste in your mouth about this. It's a nice thing that you're doing, so don't let one bad experience get you down.

JadedJenn Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
JadedJenn Posted 21 Aug 2010 , 11:49pm
post #13 of 24

I'm sorry your cake was received so rudely! It looks very nice.

This sounds like a great organization. I had never heard of it before. I just looked up my local chapter and I'm thinking about volunteering to make cakes. thumbs_up.gif

mindy1204 Posted 22 Aug 2010 , 12:15am
post #14 of 24

It is a great organization. We make stuff a few times a week and I have 2 others besides myself who help out tremendously.

LePetitCakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
LePetitCakes Posted 22 Aug 2010 , 12:30am
post #15 of 24

Ugh, how awful. That woman should be ashamed of herself. And I agree that if they couldn't have afforded a cake, how in the world can they afford a party for 150 people?

cs_confections Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cs_confections Posted 22 Aug 2010 , 1:52am
post #16 of 24

Mindy, that's terrible! I would figure up the costs and divide that by the amount that a normal cake for a single child costs and let the caseworker know how many potential requests this special unappreciated cake took the place of.

What an incredibly rude family! Hubby and I are of the thought that if they could afford the rest of this massive party, they surely could have managed buying a couple of sheet cakes. Sorry this happened to you!

giggysmack Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
giggysmack Posted 22 Aug 2010 , 2:26am
post #17 of 24
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gingoodies

This may sound harsh.. but why on earth would you do a free cake for a party of 100 PEOPLE!?? and then its gets upped to 150 PEOPLE!! Isn't the idea of "Free Cakes for Kids" supposed to be providing cakes to families who cannot afford the luxury of a decorated cake? IMO, If they can make a party for that many people, they certainly could have afforded a cake.

I agree!

cakeythings1961 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cakeythings1961 Posted 22 Aug 2010 , 2:29pm
post #18 of 24

The cake was beautiful! I agree that if a family can throw a quinceañera celebration for 150 people, they can buy their own cake. You were too nice!!!!

I provide free birthday cakes for a local domestic violence shelter (usually 3-4 cakes per month.) I really work hard to make sure each cake looks nice and is appropriate to the child's age, etc. Last year the coordinator at the shelter called and asked, since l love baking cakes so much, if I would make a cake for her son's high school graduation. icon_surprised.gif It never ceases to amaze me the gall some people have!!!!!!!!

KayMc Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
KayMc Posted 22 Aug 2010 , 3:31pm
post #19 of 24

This entitlement mentality of some people drives me up a wall. I agree - you should have taken the cake and left with it.

Chibikuma Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Chibikuma Posted 22 Aug 2010 , 5:56pm
post #20 of 24

Wow I'm angry just reading it! I dunno how you guys deal with situations like this... icon_sad.gif
but wait a sec... isn't quinceañera a celebration for turning 16...?! how is that consider a kid? People can be so ungrateful it's ubelieveable!! It's sad how people would take advantage of others who's doing all these work for a good cause and turn it around and make it like you owe them!

gourmetsharon Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
gourmetsharon Posted 22 Aug 2010 , 6:08pm
post #21 of 24

This just blows my mind that they were so rude. I think the case worker who pushed this was also at fault. A big party like that is a priviledge and you went way over and beyond.

You did a wonderful thing. I hope you can continue to help kids that REALLY need something like this.

leafO Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
leafO Posted 22 Aug 2010 , 6:08pm
post #22 of 24

I'm so sorry this happened to you! Some people are so ungrateful! Sounds like they were gaming the system to get something for free when they really didn't need it. I'm sorry they were so greedy and rude to you!

Your foundation is wonderful and has inspired me! Don't let it get you down you are doing great things icon_smile.gif

kger Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kger Posted 22 Aug 2010 , 6:14pm
post #23 of 24

It's a party for turning 15, and kind of like rite of passage. The latino community tends to be very close-knit (at least where I live) and help each other out, so it's possible that several guests brought food, like a potluck. The 150 wouldn't necessarily be 150 teenage friends, but likely a lot of neighbors and extended family, who bring all of their family members, so I think the numbers add up rather quickly.

And if I'm reading this right, it was the just the grandmother who was criticizing, not the clients or the organization. So yes, be VERY angry at that grandmother (who is likely bitter about something else and is taking it out on innocent people), but don't lose heart in freecakesforkids! It's a great organization.

I signed up on the main website a while ago to find out more about it, but have heard nothing back. How did you start your chapter?

mindy1204 Posted 22 Aug 2010 , 11:27pm
post #24 of 24

I emailed them and told them that there was nothing within 50 miles of me and could I start a chapter and the eventually got back with me. They were slow on getting back with me. It is worth it most of the time but we do have those people that do not appreciate what we do for them.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%