Cupcake Embarrassment

Baking By MariaK38 Updated 10 Oct 2010 , 7:19pm by ERdocmom

MariaK38 Posted 21 Aug 2010 , 9:22pm
post #1 of 11

ugh... I delivered 2 dozen buckeye cupcakes to a lady I will be doing business with soon (providing sweets for her wedding candy buffet biz) I used my new cupcake boxes with the cardboard holder insert. When we went to open the box, I thought the cupcakes had slid all over the place, but I think it was really the insert. WHY?...... Isn't the insert supposed to hold the cupcakes in place?
Luckily, the icing had crusted so they weren't too bad, but it was so embarrassing. And she was more than understanding and mentioned that when her aunt used to do cupcakes, she had the same problem and solved it by using the plastic inserts that sit down lower on the cupcake.
I still feel horrible and I'm going to send her a partial refund. I'm really hoping that we'll still have a business relationship after this.
Now I have almost 100 24-cupcake inserts that I don't want to use after this fiasco! Any tips for getting these things to work? Maybe taping them down?

Thanks! Maria

10 replies
Jenniferkay Posted 21 Aug 2010 , 10:12pm
post #2 of 11

sometimes it depends on the recipe. your cupcakes need to be full. with the insert I really mash it down b/c i notice it buckles a little in the middle. i've been using inserts for over a year and the only time i have issue is when my cupcake is not a larger regular sized or when my insert is buckling.

neelycharmed Posted 22 Aug 2010 , 11:25am
post #3 of 11

Same as Jenn,
The cupcakes need to be really full and I haven't had an issue with them falling or sliding around thumbs_up.gif
Jodi

leily Posted 22 Aug 2010 , 11:53am
post #4 of 11

you said the insert moved, what size of box are you putting it in? I haven't had any issues with the insert moving side to side, vertical yes, but it still doesn't let the cupcakes move, it just is up higher or lower on the cupcake itself.

MariaK38 Posted 22 Aug 2010 , 12:51pm
post #5 of 11

hi...
I used the right size insert, my cupcakes were full... I just don't understand it! It was a 24-cupcake insert in the 24-cupcake box from brp. When I put them in, before frosting, the insert came to about 1/4-1/2 an inch from the top of the cupcake. I frosted them and they seemed fine. But the next day after I scooted the box across the table and opened the box to check on them, a few of the cupcakes were "off center" and had moved partially under the insert. So I took the cupcakes out and replaced the insert because the original one had icing on it. I even cut the folded part on the sides down a tiny bit so the insert would sit lower. I put the box in a non slip liner in my van floor and it didn't move an inch while I was driving. They seemed fine until I got to my destination.
It must be me! I'll try these cardboard inserts again on Friday for my son's b'day and see what happens. Ugh!

Thanks for the suggestions!

DianeLM Posted 22 Aug 2010 , 2:35pm
post #6 of 11

I haven't used the BRP boxes, I use regular bakery boxes, so I always have to put a board in the box, otherwise the bottom isn't strong enough to support the cupcakes. Could that be the problem?

Also, I always tape the corners of the insert so they're not tempted to open and flatten out.

MariaK38 Posted 22 Aug 2010 , 10:05pm
post #7 of 11

good tips, DianeLM. I'll try both!
Thanks!

Pallison Posted 22 Aug 2010 , 10:31pm
post #8 of 11

I was going to suggest the same thing DaineLM did...put a board in the bottom of your box so that it won't sag causing the liner to move above the cupcakes....hope that works for you...!!!

MariaK38 Posted 26 Aug 2010 , 6:50pm
post #9 of 11

Thank you, Diane, for the cake board suggestion! I delivered cupcakes today and put a board in the bottom of the box and used the plastic inserts. I put the box on a non slip liner in the back of my van. There's road construction all over the place right now, so lots of bumpy roads, lots of extra turns. I was a nervous wreck, but when I got to my destination, the cupcakes hadn't moved! Thank you again!

Maria

DianeLM Posted 26 Aug 2010 , 7:15pm
post #10 of 11

Glad it worked for you!!

ERdocmom Posted 10 Oct 2010 , 7:19pm
post #11 of 11

hi there! i use the boxes and inserts from BRP also.....had this happen once and now I cut off approx 1/4-1/2 inch from each side of the insert so that it sits lower in the box. hope this helps!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%