1St And Last Time Copying A Cake!

Decorating By Maria925 Updated 31 Aug 2010 , 12:56am by dchockeyguy

Maria925 Posted 21 Aug 2010 , 8:34pm
post #1 of 10

When I have been baking for my friends & family, they have given me ideas about what they wanted. I would sketch a pic, using ideas from here & there and my own ideas as well. Recently, a friend fell in love with a cake she saw and asked me to make it. I happily agreed, not thinking anything of it.

I spent so much time making these 2 cakes and was so disappointed with them. Not because there was really anything wrong with the cakes, but because they did NOT live up to the original. The original creator is far more advanced than I am and I just kept comparing mine to hers and they simply don't measure up. Plus I just felt so much pressure to make it look like the original.

It completely took the joy out of making the cakes for me. From now on, I will tell my friends that I will be happy to use a picture as an idea, or happy to include certain elements. But I will not replicate cakes anymore!!!

I don't sell cakes, these are gifts for friends & family, so I think I need to have more say in what I make. I spent alot of time on these cakes, but when people kept complimenting the design, I just felt like a fraud icon_sad.gif

Has anyone else dealt with this???

9 replies
leah_s Posted 21 Aug 2010 , 8:38pm
post #2 of 10

Yes. I flat out refuse to copy another designer's work and say so on my website. Inspiration yes, but copy, noooooooo.

bisbqueenb Posted 21 Aug 2010 , 9:30pm
post #3 of 10

I can't even copy one of MY cakes! they never come out the same! And I tell folks that when they show me a picture....yes, I can use the picture to get the similar cake, but don't expect an exact copy!

catlharper Posted 21 Aug 2010 , 10:54pm
post #4 of 10

this is an important lesson for a cake artist to learn. There will be lots of people who see a cake in a magazine or online or on tv and want THAT cake. What I tell them, and it says the same right on my website, that I will take the design and work with them to make their own one of a kind cake that is as original as they are. Then I sketch out something that has the same "feel" as the original but is within my abilities and their budget and yet is completely original for only their wedding. I won't even copy my own cakes. I had someone ask for my beer bucket cake and I made just enough changes that it became THEIR beer bucket cake, not like the one they had seen on my site. Funny enough, I like the 2nd version much better than the very popular first version<G>

Chibikuma Posted 22 Aug 2010 , 1:48am
post #5 of 10

OMG I know what you mean! I made a cake for my friend to surprise his friend. When I delivered the cake they were discussing starting a business, his friend kept going on about how I should make a bunch of them (looking the same) and sell it, I pretty much flat out said I'll never make the same design more than once.... he said that's not money making business thinking.... and then went on saying my cakes can be mass produced.... man I was quite offended..

debbief Posted 22 Aug 2010 , 3:48am
post #6 of 10

I'm going to have to agree. I found a cake on CC and, after getting permission to copy it, I made the same cake. It wasn't bad (for my level of expertise) but not even close the original. And I just didn't feel all that good about it since I didn't "create" it.

I'm working on the whole creativity issue. It's so hard when you see such amazing cakes and think, wow I would love to make a cake like that. I almost feel like it blocks my own imagination. But I'm learning to take bits and pieces and techniques and make my own cake out of it.

I think eventually, after I've made enough cakes, I'll get more creative and the designs will become more my own rather than bits and pieces of others. But sheesh there's so many great ideas out there!

indydebi Posted 22 Aug 2010 , 6:04am
post #7 of 10

Because I'm no Norm Davis or Kerry Vincent or leah_s, I flat out told my brides "Guaranteed NOT to look like the photo!" icon_biggrin.gif

Loucinda Posted 22 Aug 2010 , 2:00pm
post #8 of 10

I have a clause in my contract that even states that I cannot match anothers work perfectly.

Maria925 Posted 31 Aug 2010 , 12:13am
post #9 of 10

Thanks for your replies. This was an important lesson for me! I don't currently sell cakes, but hope to one day in the future. To make matters worse, another very good friend is a budding photographer who does beautiful work...as long as it's outside in natural light. She took pictures of the cakes for me inside at the party. They turned out pretty bad. But I didn't want to make her feel bad, so I put them up on my blog anyway. So not only do I hate the cakes, but now I have crappy pictures of them up which just makes me hate them even more! Ugh!!! I'm just waiting for this weeks cake to be done, so it won't be front & center on my blog anymore... icon_sad.gif

dchockeyguy Posted 31 Aug 2010 , 12:56am
post #10 of 10
Originally Posted by indydebi

Because I'm no Norm Davis or Kerry Vincent or leah_s, I flat out told my brides "Guaranteed NOT to look like the photo!" icon_biggrin.gif

okay, Debi, I'm sending this to Norm. He's going to get a charge out of this.

Quote by @%username% on %date%