Some Ideas For Piping Tips For Cupcakes

Baking By jennywenny Updated 1 Sep 2010 , 3:02am by PeteLoaf

jennywenny Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jennywenny Posted 21 Aug 2010 , 3:42pm
post #1 of 11

I notice a lot of people seem to be interested in which tips to buy for cupcakes.

I suggest ignoring wilton, and buying yourself a set of ateco tips. I can find them at my local smart and final for around $12

Then use a decent sized piping bag and a closed star tip for this rose, starting in the middle:

Use an 805 for this type, using a dollop of caramel frosting in your piping bag to get the swirl:

Use an 825 for this type:

10 replies
alleykat1 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
alleykat1 Posted 23 Aug 2010 , 7:05am
post #2 of 11

ok beautiful thanks...where else do I find these tips we don't have that store?

Pallison Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Pallison Posted 24 Aug 2010 , 5:42am
post #3 of 11

I'm just curious as to why so many people do not recommend Wilton tips.....I have always used them...and by the way, they are the only ones available in my immediate area.....I would love to try the ateco everyone talks about and if I ever run across some, I will...
But in the mean time, could someone share why they are better than Wilton...??

thin4life Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
thin4life Posted 24 Aug 2010 , 11:49pm
post #4 of 11

I see nothing wrong with Wilton tips. Most people only have access to Wilton products anyways, but they work just fine.

lakergirl Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
lakergirl Posted 25 Aug 2010 , 1:06am
post #5 of 11

Jenny,
Thank you for taking time to post these pictures- veryhelpful for a NEWBIE!
Question~~~ Do you the recipe for the picture of the caramel frosting?
I love the look & would love a recipe for that very flowey looking frosting of that cupcake. I am continuing to practice that look & probably have not found the right frosting recipe for it!!!
Does it have a whipped creme base to get that look? icon_smile.gif
Thanks again...Kim

bubblywhitewine Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
bubblywhitewine Posted 25 Aug 2010 , 1:17am
post #6 of 11

Thank you so much for sharing!!!

dorie67 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
dorie67 Posted 25 Aug 2010 , 1:36am
post #7 of 11

Thanks for sharing, they look yummy! princess.gif

scp1127 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
scp1127 Posted 25 Aug 2010 , 7:14am
post #8 of 11

My cake supply store supplies all of the Wilton tips and Ateco, plus another that I can't remember. She says that they duplicate each other. Not pushing Wilton, but they have a book of tons of their tips with a color photo of every one on a cake. I use that book to get the tips I want and I have some really great tips (all brands, if she doesn't have it in one brand, she gives me another). The book is called "The Uses of the Most Popular Decorating Tips". Copyright 1986 by Wilton, but I just bought it new this year...don't remember where. The examples even show different sizes and how to combo the tips. They also have a section on giant tips.

jennywenny Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jennywenny Posted 26 Aug 2010 , 4:57am
post #9 of 11

Oops, nothing against wilton, I just find the tips I came across were very small, and the ateco larger tips are more useful for larger scale decorating of things like cupcakes. They even come with a large coupler if you want to switch.

That frosting is a cream cheese frosting with a little caramel swirled in.

I would imagine that the ateco tips would be easy enough to get online from somewhere like amazon or one of the other online stores...

SweetDreamsBoutique Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
SweetDreamsBoutique Posted 27 Aug 2010 , 4:29pm
post #10 of 11

we have them at our local cake supply store. I did find a few sets on amazon that decently priced.

PeteLoaf Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
PeteLoaf Posted 1 Sep 2010 , 3:02am
post #11 of 11

You can get them directly from ateco, check out the website

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%