Real Ribbon On A Wedding Cake?

Decorating By robin3845 Updated 18 Sep 2010 , 5:11am by Frecklysmom

robin3845 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
robin3845 Posted 21 Aug 2010 , 3:18pm
post #1 of 20

Can anyone suggest a good way to attatch satin ribbon on to a wedding cake? I've heard that the best way is to use RI, but I don't like when you can see the wetness through the ribbon from the icing. I'm also wondering about the raw edge on the ribbon? Any suggestions on how to make it look a little cleaner??

19 replies
Skidoochic Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Skidoochic Posted 21 Aug 2010 , 3:40pm
post #2 of 20

I use a brown paper bag and wax paper and iron the wax onto the back side of the ribbon (or the side that will be touching the cake). This wax puts a foodsafe barrier between the ribbon and the buttercream and I get minimal, if any, bleed through. For attaching the ribbon, I use glue dots found at the hobby store. I over lap the ribbon slightly, figure where I need to cut to make an even, matching point, apply the glue dots and gently press. When they cut the cake, they can pull on the glue dot joint or use scissors to cut the ribbon away. HTH!

Goldberry Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Goldberry Posted 21 Aug 2010 , 3:55pm
post #3 of 20

Not sure if I would use wax. What I would do is just fix the ribbon at the back of the cake with Royal Icing. It doesn't need to be firmly fixed since all it is there for is decoration until it's cut

indydebi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
indydebi Posted 21 Aug 2010 , 4:57pm
post #4 of 20

Are you using a crusting BC? If so, allow the BC to crust before applying the ribbon. If there is no surface-moisture on the icing (i.e. "crusted") then there will be no moisture to soak into the ribbon.

I attached my ribbon in back with a blop of BC.

If not using crusting BC, then a trick I learnd here on CC (and I've used frequently) is to coat the entire ribbon with crisco ahead of time. This "soaks" the ribbon uniformly so there will be no spotting.

robin3845 Posted 21 Aug 2010 , 6:00pm
post #5 of 20

actually I'm using fondant not BC

indydebi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
indydebi Posted 21 Aug 2010 , 6:13pm
post #6 of 20
Quote:
Originally Posted by robin3845

actually I'm using fondant not BC

OH! Then it's a no-brainer! Just wrap the ribbon and attach in back with a blop of BC! Easy-Peasy!

robin3845 Posted 22 Aug 2010 , 1:49am
post #7 of 20

But if I use BC to attatch it, then You'll be able to see the colour difference? Any ideas about how to make the ribbon with a nice clean cut at the back? the ribbon I'm using is like a solid band top and bottom of the ribbon and in between is like a sheering effect. I'm gonna have to be extremely careful. there's no room for error on this one! i like Skidoochic's idea of using the glue dots. Any ideas about this?

tokazodo Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tokazodo Posted 22 Aug 2010 , 2:36am
post #8 of 20

I read about someone attaching the ribbon with pearl topped corsage pins. (It may have been here on cc)
They said they just pinned the ribbon in the back with 2 pins, and then when it's time to serve the cake, you just remove the pins. I tried with my sons cake and it works.
HTH

You can see the pearl pin head hiding between the penguins
<http://cakecentral.com/modules.php?name=gallery&file=displayimage&pid=1743834&sub=1743844>

hvanaalst Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
hvanaalst Posted 22 Aug 2010 , 2:51am
post #9 of 20

I just use double sided tape to attache the ends at the back.

robin3845 Posted 22 Aug 2010 , 2:59am
post #10 of 20

thanks Tokazodo! I was actually thinking that but thought that pins through a cake might be a bit weird!! I think that's the best option!!

mckaren Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mckaren Posted 22 Aug 2010 , 7:24am
post #11 of 20

I wouldn't stick metal pins directly into a cake ( there have been debates over doing this with wires). A dot of bc or royal icing or a small piece of double sided tape is fine. It's too small to notice.

Goldberry Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Goldberry Posted 22 Aug 2010 , 8:20am
post #12 of 20

I agree with McKaren. Don;t leave pins in a cake (or wires) would you want something that isn't sterile (wires) in your cake and would you want to take the risk of somone accidentally eating a pin. they are good to use if you need to just hold something in place for a few minutes but pins should always be glass headed icon_twisted.gif

tokazodo Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tokazodo Posted 22 Aug 2010 , 3:24pm
post #13 of 20
Quote:
Originally Posted by mckaren

I wouldn't stick metal pins directly into a cake ( there have been debates over doing this with wires). A dot of bc or royal icing or a small piece of double sided tape is fine. It's too small to notice.

My thought wasn't to actually stick the pins into the cake, but to secure the ribbon as one would a corsage, not actually sticking into something, but weaving the pin in and out to keep the ribbon secure.

I guess you could solve this problem in many different ways. A corsage pin has a pearl head and is about 3 1/2 inches long.

Just an idea

Lisa-lou Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Lisa-lou Posted 23 Aug 2010 , 6:38pm
post #14 of 20

Here is a post that was similar to yours and judyj2 had a great suggestion for using freezer paper, it works wonderfully. Here is the link, HTH.
http://cakecentral.com/cake-decorating-ftopict-687322.html

ChucKles Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ChucKles Posted 23 Aug 2010 , 11:00pm
post #15 of 20

I always dip my ribbon in water and then run it between my finger and thumb to get rid of the excess water, you just want it damp, then wrap it around the cake. The moisture makes it stick to the cake and once it dries there are no marks showing through the ribbon and the ends are neat. When it comes time to serve you can very easily peel it off.

robin3845 Posted 24 Aug 2010 , 2:22am
post #16 of 20

wow Chukkles thats a great idea! I'm a little nervous though. The client has provided me with the ribbon with not much to spare. I'm afraid of ruining it?!

ChucKles Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ChucKles Posted 24 Aug 2010 , 11:04am
post #17 of 20

If you dont feel comfortable with securing it that way you could try it out on a different cake with a similar type of ribbon, otherwise use whatever you feel the most comfortable with, especially if it is for a client icon_wink.gif

aswartzw Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
aswartzw Posted 24 Aug 2010 , 12:49pm
post #18 of 20

You really should line the ribbon since the ribbon isn't food-safe. Either use the iron wax method as above or I always use double-sided tape to attach wax paper to the ribbon and trim to size. Really, it takes no time at all and makes it food-safe.

Use 1 dot of icing where the two ribbon ends meet at the back. It will hold it in place just fine but ditto the other posters, no metal pins.

Julie5 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Julie5 Posted 18 Sep 2010 , 4:30am
post #19 of 20

I was actually wondering about the ribbon thing too. My thing is, I use a crusting buttercream and it is all shortening. Even when I let it crust, then apply the ribbon, I get grease that kind of soaks through the ribbon. Any suggestion? I can't really imagine making a backing for the ribbon. Usually, the bride will provide the ribbon so that it matches her wedding perfectly.

Frecklysmom Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Frecklysmom Posted 18 Sep 2010 , 5:11am
post #20 of 20

I have used piping gel to secure the ribbon to the cake. I just brushed it on the ribbon and stuck it to the cake. The ribbon didn't slip or discolor. I have used this method on both butter cream and fondant and it worked wonderfully.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%