Diet Soda Cake For Carving?

Baking By smokeysmokerton Updated 21 Aug 2010 , 2:18pm by smokeysmokerton

smokeysmokerton Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
smokeysmokerton Posted 21 Aug 2010 , 12:40pm
post #1 of 3

I'm planning to do a purse cake this weekend(just for practice) but because of all of the egg recalls(and the fact that they keep adding to the list) I'd like to avoid eggs completely. While searching for an egg replacement here I found the diet soda cake recipe. Has anyone ever tried carving this kind of cake?

Also, in case it will work, what flavor of soda would you use for dark chocolate fudge cake?

Thanks!

2 replies
Texas_Rose Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Texas_Rose Posted 21 Aug 2010 , 12:58pm
post #2 of 3

I haven't tried the diet soda cake recipes, but I know that usually eggs add structure to baked goods, and when I want to make something more sturdy for carving, I add an extra egg and a pudding mix, so I'm thinking maybe that recipe might not be the best way to go.

Can you get pasteurized eggs at the grocery store? I've bought them before and they cost about three times as much as regular eggs. I used them when my grandma came to visit and I made mousse...I didn't want to risk feeding her raw egg at her age. Baking is supposed to kill salmonella, so you shouldn't really need pasteurized eggs, but if you'd feel better about using them, it's not that much more to spend for peace of mind.

smokeysmokerton Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
smokeysmokerton Posted 21 Aug 2010 , 2:18pm
post #3 of 3

I thought you'd say that icon_sad.gif It just sounded way too easy. I guess I'm off to find some pasturized eggs!

Thanks

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%