Getting Started

Business By MandyCakez Updated 23 Aug 2010 , 11:03am by minicuppie

MandyCakez Posted 21 Aug 2010 , 8:02am
post #1 of 16

I'm just getting started in the cake business.I made a few cakes and have always received compliments on how good my cakes are and that i should go into the cake business.Well,i decided to give it a shot.I'm taking a few classes and i even just started a FB page.I get alot of feedback,but NO ORDERS! icon_sad.gif How did you get customers?

Also this is my first cake i actually would think about charging someone for.It won't let me upload to the gallery...but is this something you'd buy?I know i should have done the ducks in a different color as they blend in with the rocks.How much roughly does one charge for a simple one tier cake?This was a 10 inch.
http://i273.photobucket.com/albums/jj212/MandyMystiques/Picture121.jpg

Thanks for any tips or advice you can give me. icon_smile.gif

15 replies
MandyCakez Posted 21 Aug 2010 , 3:04pm
post #2 of 16

Wow, anyone?lol

dawncr Posted 21 Aug 2010 , 3:18pm
post #3 of 16

Welcome to CC!

One likely reason you're not getting lots of posts right now:

Fridays and Saturdays are cakers' busiest days. They're prepping and icing and stacking and delivering the wedding cakes that are most often needed on Saturdays. icon_biggrin.gif

dawncr Posted 21 Aug 2010 , 3:24pm
post #4 of 16

Forgot to add:

The marketing topic is discussed quite often here on the business forum. Take some time and read, read, read the posts on this forum for as far back as you have time/patience. I'd guess you'll come up with some suggestions that apply to you.

And.... be sure to read past threads on what is required legally to sell one's cakes. I don't know anything about your state's laws & regulations, so you may already have done all this. In that case, never mind my suggestion.

Good luck to you!

minicuppie Posted 21 Aug 2010 , 3:33pm
post #5 of 16

Ditto. Fri and Sat are busy, busy for most of the Business posters.
Me, not so much!
Retired a few years ago.
Would be helpful if you added your FB link in your siggie!

jason_kraft Posted 21 Aug 2010 , 5:05pm
post #6 of 16

Before you accept money for any cake, make sure you get a business license and contact the PA Dept of Agriculture to ensure you are following the rules for setting up an official home-based bakery. You'll also need to declare any income from selling cakes to the IRS, but the flip side is you may be able to deduct any losses against your personal income (once you set up an official business, hobby losses are not deductible).

You will also want to get liability insurance and set up an LLC to shield your personal assets, especially considering the recent recall of eggs contaminated with salmonella. Without liability insurance and LLC protection, you could lose your personal assets in the case of a lawsuit.

To figure out how much to charge for a cake, you first need to find out how much you are spending on the cake. Calculate your ingredient costs, assign yourself an hourly "wage", and factor in your overhead costs (insurance, licensing, etc.). Anything above this cost will be profit for you. How much profit you can make will depend on how much people in your area are willing to spend and how much the competition is charging.

Good luck!

sweetonyouzz Posted 21 Aug 2010 , 7:12pm
post #7 of 16

your key is to have as big a cake portfolio as possible. People have lots of differant tastes. I also set up a website with my qualifications and training and all the rentals, ect that I have available. So I suggest you get your styrofoam cake rounds out and create...create,,,create...

Also, don't be upset because your post was not answered right off the top. This forum has very busy ladies on it who will go out of their way to help anyone who is getting started.I do not post much but if I have a particularly bad client I always come here to feel better. One thing about this business, you can kiss your weekends goodbye...if you are not available you wil not get orders. You have to put yourself out there and be prepared to work your fanny officon_smile.gif

MandyCakez Posted 22 Aug 2010 , 10:05am
post #8 of 16

I do have a business license and i'm pretty much covered with all the legal aspects as i've owned a restaurant before.I was just wondering about acquiring customers from a home based stand point.

Thanks for the info.

MandyCakez Posted 22 Aug 2010 , 10:08am
post #9 of 16
Quote:
Originally Posted by sweetonyouzz

your key is to have as big a cake portfolio as possible. People have lots of differant tastes. I also set up a website with my qualifications and training and all the rentals, ect that I have available. So I suggest you get your styrofoam cake rounds out and create...create,,,create...

Also, don't be upset because your post was not answered right off the top. This forum has very busy ladies on it who will go out of their way to help anyone who is getting started.I do not post much but if I have a particularly bad client I always come here to feel better. One thing about this business, you can kiss your weekends goodbye...if you are not available you wil not get orders. You have to put yourself out there and be prepared to work your fanny officon_smile.gif

I wasn't upset at all.Thanks,I have been working on my portfolio.

MandyCakez Posted 22 Aug 2010 , 10:12am
post #10 of 16
Quote:
Originally Posted by minicuppie

Ditto. Fri and Sat are busy, busy for most of the Business posters.
Me, not so much!
Retired a few years ago.
Would be helpful if you added your FB link in your siggie!

I have it in there but for some reason it's not showing up when i post. icon_sad.gif

Anyways,Here it is. icon_smile.gif
http://www.facebook.com/home.php?filter=nf#!/pages/Sugar-Spice-Cakery/100659556661440

minicuppie Posted 22 Aug 2010 , 11:15am
post #11 of 16

You have a good solid FB page, altho IMO it could use some brighter colors in your graphics and more!! pix on your wall.

pinkpiggie78 Posted 22 Aug 2010 , 8:47pm
post #12 of 16

I own a home-based business and get all of my customers through google, facebook, word of mouth, and networking. I started by making some cakes for friends parties to get some practice and get my name out there. Then I designed a website and listed my business on google places. Then I worked on listing my business on all the bridal/party websites I could find (eventective.com, decidio.com, weddingwire.com, etc) and just did their free listings. I also started a facebook page, printed brochures, business cards, signs for the car, etc.

I just started networking and going to bridal shows... but even without these, I had enough business to keep me busy.

MandyCakez Posted 22 Aug 2010 , 10:03pm
post #13 of 16
Quote:
Originally Posted by minicuppie

You have a good solid FB page, altho IMO it could use some brighter colors in your graphics and more!! pix on your wall.

Thanks....I just started the page a few days ago...i'm working on a cake to use as my display picture,rather than that graphic. icon_biggrin.gif

MandyCakez Posted 22 Aug 2010 , 10:09pm
post #14 of 16
Quote:
Originally Posted by pinkpiggie78

I own a home-based business and get all of my customers through google, facebook, word of mouth, and networking. I started by making some cakes for friends parties to get some practice and get my name out there. Then I designed a website and listed my business on google places. Then I worked on listing my business on all the bridal/party websites I could find (eventective.com, decidio.com, weddingwire.com, etc) and just did their free listings. I also started a facebook page, printed brochures, business cards, signs for the car, etc.

I just started networking and going to bridal shows... but even without these, I had enough business to keep me busy.

Thanks so much for all the tips!I'm working on getting some business cards made up and i've been promoting like crazy!LOL

pinkpiggie78 Posted 22 Aug 2010 , 10:46pm
post #15 of 16

Some folks have used craigslist too, but I only got a few real inquiries (and a bunch of spam) and only one turned into an order. It was a waste as far as I was concerned, since most folks on there were looking for "deals". I did contemplate dropping cake samples/cupcakes off at various places (doctor's offices, hair salons, etc), but just didn't get around to it (When I started, I worked part-time for an IT company, had a 2 yr old and was preggo with another baby).

I will say most folks say they found me on google (I have them answer "how did you find out about us?" on the form mailer on my website)... which is great because it is free.

minicuppie Posted 23 Aug 2010 , 11:03am
post #16 of 16

Oh, no! Don't lose that graphic! IMO it is unusual and would be the bomb with some brighter colors!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%