Emergency!!

Decorating By Stephy42088 Updated 22 Aug 2010 , 12:45am by Stephy42088

Stephy42088 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Stephy42088 Posted 21 Aug 2010 , 6:24am
post #1 of 6

please help with this wrigley field cake!! it's due tomorrow for a grooms cake and i feel like it is totally unacceptable!! im charging her $115 for the cake plus a $15 late fee because I just found out I was doing it a couple of days ago. I still need to put the red wrigley field sign on and the scoreboard so its not completely done but my mom said she would never pay $100 for this cake and its unacceptable. I've never done a cake like this before and I'm doing the farmers market tomorrow also so I hadn't had a lot of time to work on it. please please please offer suggestions on how to fix it or make it more acceptable please!! If the attachment didnt work then its the only cake I have uploaded.

5 replies
adventuregal Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
adventuregal Posted 21 Aug 2010 , 7:13am
post #2 of 6

Hi Stephy!
I feel your stress as I'm up late working on a cake for tomorrow too. I would spend whatever time you can tonight fixing the fondant-it looks very uneven in the pictures. Sometimes just straightening things and stream lining makes the BIGGEST difference icon_smile.gif When you put the sign up I'd just say try to make it as neat and straight as possible. It's kind of hard to tell what you should do from the picture, but I would also say maybe a few more details if you have time. Good luck and I hope it turns out well-and go relax tomorrow night after all this icon_smile.gif

chellescountrycakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
chellescountrycakes Posted 21 Aug 2010 , 7:13am
post #3 of 6

I am sorry, but your mom is right.

You need to redo your fondant. there should be no cracks, or holes where it comes together.

I think your idea is a good one. its recessed, and it looks like it would be very nice, but you really do need to make your panels match up.

also, it needs to be on a cake board that fits it. I am the worlds worst about not 'making' fancy cakeboards- but this needs to be on something nicer, or that is the exact size of it.

I cant see the inside, other than the outside corner of the field. But, your diamond needs to be sharper. and have bases.

and the folks in the stands and their 'stands' need to be more uniform.

I understand being under the gun- I have 2 cakes due in the morning and one is still sitting in plastic wrap. LOL I am running way behind.

sillywabbitz Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sillywabbitz Posted 21 Aug 2010 , 4:17pm
post #4 of 6

I know it's too late now but next time you do a cake like this it would be a good idea to do the side panels in advance and let them dry for a day or two. Then you can trim them to exact size so they line up.

This is a perfect example of how Sugar Shacks Boxes and Bows DVD can be applied to any cake. It has great techniques for getting straight panels and getting rid of seams.

Good luck. I hope you were able to fix it.

leah_s Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
leah_s Posted 21 Aug 2010 , 6:16pm
post #5 of 6

did you give that to your customer?

Stephy42088 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Stephy42088 Posted 22 Aug 2010 , 12:45am
post #6 of 6

I actually stayed up all night and did another cake, with a firmer recipe. that was my biggest problem. the cake was so moist that it just slid everywhere and as a result the lines were uneven and then the fondant cracked and then one thing led to another until it was just horrible. the new one was much better...and smaller, which was my original plan anyways. but i learned a lot from that cake! ive only been doing this for a couple months so its kind of a disaster and then learn from it kind of experience.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%