8.20.10 Friday Night Cake Club

Decorating By leah_s Updated 21 Aug 2010 , 8:39pm by korensmommy

DefyGravity Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
DefyGravity Posted 21 Aug 2010 , 3:58am
post #31 of 53

My husband got promoted in the Air Force and got the highest score out of anyone in his career field in the world, so I'm making a cake (white cake that I colored blue and torted, so there's 4 blue stripes to play off of the new stripe he's getting) and since he's in Ammo, I'm going to put a piss pot on it. (Google it, it's not as bad as it sounds icon_wink.gif )

His work buddies are coming over tomorrow to celebrate, so hopefully I do right by them icon_smile.gif

Jenniferkay Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Jenniferkay Posted 21 Aug 2010 , 4:02am
post #32 of 53

congrats to your hubby defy! that's awesome!

BethLS Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
BethLS Posted 21 Aug 2010 , 4:03am
post #33 of 53

Hi y'all! Just after midnight and just finished my softball cake for a non-profit org tomorrow morning. It was a monster and took about 10 hours, hope they enjoy it because my feet sure didn't! icon_biggrin.gif

DefyGravity Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
DefyGravity Posted 21 Aug 2010 , 4:13am
post #34 of 53
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jenniferkay

congrats to your hubby defy! that's awesome!

He's trying really hard not to, but he has definitely been walking on sunshine since yesterday icon_smile.gif

I don't know what he did, but somehow he hit the cake and mushed up a corner on it icon_sad.gif At least it's for him and I guess he's free to mangle it if he wants to icon_lol.gif

kger Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kger Posted 21 Aug 2010 , 4:27am
post #35 of 53
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jenniferkay

kger-how much of a layer of bc are you using? my experience with the whipped is-I wouldn't want it under fondant. too "fluffy" not enough "muscle" (if bc could have muscle!)

Doh! Now you tell me. Oh well, lesson learned.

Lcubed82 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Lcubed82 Posted 21 Aug 2010 , 5:11am
post #36 of 53

Just finished a two tier Princess and Frog cake. Buttercream with fondant lilly pads and flowers. Crown cookie on top, and frog cookie on the front. I am pleased with how it came out. Pix tomorrow, I hope!

Major storm just passed through, now getting quiet again. So think I'll head to bed. Nite!!!

leah_s Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
leah_s Posted 21 Aug 2010 , 5:18am
post #37 of 53

Hey, now. I used a whipped non-crusting bc for *everything*.

leah_s Posted 21 Aug 2010 , 7:06am
post #38 of 53

OK 3 a.m. I'm off to bed.

step0nmi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
step0nmi Posted 21 Aug 2010 , 7:50am
post #39 of 53

3 am here too! icon_lol.gif

OK! maybe you guys will see this in the morning...

I MIGHT be freaking out when I wake up....making a Minnie mouse hat. Used the half ball pan for it and then covered it with ganache and fondant. Now, my gumpaste ears are too heavy icon_surprised.gif I've rigged them up right now with toothpicks, fondant AND royal icing. buuut, it's sooo humid here. I put the "hat" in the fridge and I'm really worried that when I take this thing out tomorrow that the ears are just going to fall off and I don't even have a cake icon_cry.gif

if they fall and nothing worked what should I do!?? is this hat going to make it once I take it out of the fridge??? icon_cry.gif

(will be eagerly waiting a reply once I wake up icon_lol.gif )

allaboutcakeuk Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
allaboutcakeuk Posted 21 Aug 2010 , 9:11am
post #40 of 53

hi all, things have been pretty quiet over here for me in the UK but it has picked up in the last week or so but seems to be the people who want last minute cakes - like really last minute - so was up late last night working on one that was only ordered yesterday for this morning. I seem to be getting these orders I think because everyone else is busy on lots of wedding cakes so everyone else is too busy to take them - apart from me icon_sad.gif Hope you all had a good Friday and have a good weekend. This week is modelling week for me, lots of sugar models for children's cakes and a VW beetle and christening cake with bear

leah_s Posted 21 Aug 2010 , 12:20pm
post #41 of 53

I can only wish you luck with the mouse ears in the fridge. This is one of those times when the cake should not be introduced to the humidity of the refrigerator. But I truly hope it works for you. Let us know.

kger Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kger Posted 21 Aug 2010 , 2:18pm
post #42 of 53

Leah, do you ever have trouble with fondant using your bc?

leah_s Posted 21 Aug 2010 , 2:44pm
post #43 of 53

Nope. But I don't sell a lot of fondant either. Pop the lightly bc coated (more than a crumb coat, less than a full coat) into the freezer to firm up and then fondant it. I only use commercial fondant, not MMF, though so I don't know how that stuff reacts. I made MMF once and never again.

step0nmi Posted 21 Aug 2010 , 3:21pm
post #44 of 53
Quote:
Originally Posted by leah_s

I can only wish you luck with the mouse ears in the fridge. This is one of those times when the cake should not be introduced to the humidity of the refrigerator. But I truly hope it works for you. Let us know.

it all worked! icon_lol.gif

it didn't matter whether they were out of the fridge or in icon_confused.gif it's over 80% humidity here right now...I needed the fridge to firm up the cake/ganache to hold the ears. icon_rolleyes.gif

step0nmi Posted 21 Aug 2010 , 4:01pm
post #45 of 53

you know...I've had so much trouble with this top part...looking back at this cake I'm thinking it's not really cake at all icon_confused.gificon_cry.gif

what do you guys think? http://farm3.static.flickr.com/2603/3788580886_41cf0623a1.jpg[/url]

leah_s Posted 21 Aug 2010 , 6:13pm
post #46 of 53

Honestly, it looks plastic.

step0nmi Posted 21 Aug 2010 , 6:16pm
post #47 of 53
Quote:
Originally Posted by leah_s

Honestly, it looks plastic.

THANK YOU! I'm going to tell her that...the more I look at it the more I think the whole thing isn't real :p

korensmommy Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
korensmommy Posted 21 Aug 2010 , 7:43pm
post #48 of 53

Since I can't post pictures in the gallery section, I wanted to show off my son's 7th birthday cake here! Thanks for indulging me!

Can't seem to post the photo directly here either.....

Here is my photo site with the picture:

http://s471.photobucket.com/albums/rr75/Cakes_by_Paperwings/?action=view¤t=IMG_4143.jpg

It's Ben 10 with Humongosaur busting out of the cake. My 7 year old designed it himself!

KayMc Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
KayMc Posted 21 Aug 2010 , 7:48pm
post #49 of 53

I think the Minnie cake is perfect in every way!

step0nmi Posted 21 Aug 2010 , 7:50pm
post #50 of 53

well, i've delivered the cake and she loved it icon_lol.gif it actually turned out pretty well but I didn't charge enough icon_razz.gif and she also thought it was plastic icon_rolleyes.gif

step0nmi Posted 21 Aug 2010 , 8:03pm
post #51 of 53

oh, here's my rendition of the "plastic" Minnie Cake icon_lol.gif

http://i38.tinypic.com/33e6ja1.jpg

step0nmi Posted 21 Aug 2010 , 8:04pm
post #52 of 53
Quote:
Originally Posted by korensmommy

Since I can't post pictures in the gallery section, I wanted to show off my son's 7th birthday cake here! Thanks for indulging me!

Can't seem to post the photo directly here either.....

Here is my photo site with the picture:

http://s471.photobucket.com/albums/rr75/Cakes_by_Paperwings/?action=view¤t=IMG_4143.jpg

It's Ben 10 with Humongosaur busting out of the cake. My 7 year old designed it himself!

great characters! thumbs_up.gif i wish I could make those well

korensmommy Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
korensmommy Posted 21 Aug 2010 , 8:39pm
post #53 of 53

Thanks, that's all my husband, he's the artist in the family!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%