Ganache Question

Decorating By KerrieD Updated 25 Aug 2010 , 9:27pm by Moondance

KerrieD Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
KerrieD Posted 21 Aug 2010 , 12:44am
post #1 of 7

Does the ganache (for either frosting or filling) have to be made with chocolate chips? I'd prefer a rich milk chocolate instead. I've never used it before - I'm a little afraid. I always think of ganache as drippy. So I make it...let it cool down to thicken...then rewhip???
Also...can you see the brown frosting under white fondant?

6 replies
CutiePieCakes-Ontario Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
CutiePieCakes-Ontario Posted 21 Aug 2010 , 10:03pm
post #2 of 7

The one time I made ganache, I used chocolate wafers (the kind used for making chocolate molds). They worked fine because they are meant to melt.

BUT, you definitely have to let it set/cool. I didn't -- disaster.

I have seen many cake shows where they put chocolate ganache under white fondant, but the fondant was very thick - I would say extremely thick. You could make white ganache instead. It would be sweeter than milk chocolate, but you wouldn't risk bleed-thru colour.

cakemaker2 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cakemaker2 Posted 21 Aug 2010 , 11:06pm
post #3 of 7

I always use ganache as a filling, and use frosting dams. You could however frost your cake with ganache, then cover with bettercream followed by fondant. Let the bettercream "set" first.

cakemaker2 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cakemaker2 Posted 21 Aug 2010 , 11:07pm
post #4 of 7

I always use ganache as a filling, and use frosting dams. You could however frost your cake with ganache, then cover with bettercream followed by fondant. Let the bettercream "set" first.

bakercoz Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
bakercoz Posted 24 Aug 2010 , 3:45am
post #5 of 7

Ganache is so tasty. Don't make it at the last minute because it has to set up. You can let it start to set to a spreadable consistency and it will have a dark color on the cake otherwise-put the setting up ganache or even all the way set ganache in the mixer and beat it with the paddle attachment and it will be spreadable but with a lighter color. A cool look is to frost the cake with the whipped ganache then put the cake in a cooler to set up then pour some unwhipped ganach over it and it will be darker and have the drizzles coming down the sides. Also if you ganache is goopy-don't be afraid to add just a touch more chocolate to assure a good set.

cakesrock Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cakesrock Posted 24 Aug 2010 , 3:56am
post #6 of 7

I use the bulk semi sweet choc squares for my ganache. I think choc chips are fine too, but you dont' have to use them. Use ganache in this form instead of BC for a nice change in taste and to get a good finish under fondant (and really sharp corners). As the other cc'er mentioned, let it set to the consistency of peanut butter in the fridge (I was impatient and used the freezer).
Follow the directions here and pm Rylan if you need help-he's great!:
http://www.artandappetite.com/2009/11/ganache-instead-of-buttercream/
Good luck...

Moondance Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Moondance Posted 25 Aug 2010 , 9:27pm
post #7 of 7

Hi, I use white chocolate ganache under my light coloured fondant icing - it is a lovley base and makes the fondant so smooth - with white chocolate, the ratio is 3:1 that is. 600g chocolate to 200mls double cream (I think you call it heavy cream)

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%