Sticking With A Price & Now Backlash (Long)

Decorating By etr2002 Updated 22 Aug 2010 , 11:11pm by Moondance

etr2002 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
etr2002 Posted 20 Aug 2010 , 8:45pm
post #1 of 16

If I have learned nothing else from lurking on CC it is to (1) always have a contract (2) take pics of your product at delivery and (3) always stand by your price. I've learned because I do those things but today I am learning that the backlash can be harsh. Oh, and I am always consistent with price on the very, very few cakes I have ever done for a paying customer.

I live in an area where homebakeries are okay but rarely do I take advantage of that blessing as I primarily bake for free for family. Well, I received a call on Tuesday night from a very upset member of my church who had heard that I occassionally bake cakes. She is throwing a huge shower for her son and future DIL next Saturday and the girl who was supposed to make the cakes has backed out. The woman has no clue what she wants (she said she was trusting the friend who was going to make it to be creative and make something to go with their quilt and mason jar theme). I come-up with an idea that incorporates a wedding ring quilt idea, silhouettes of a bride and groom, and daisies (specifically requested). She loves the idea but not my price. The cake will feed 115 and I only quoted $120.00. Obviously, I wasn't planning on making a lot of money (you know how much ingredients alone will be for a cake of this size) and I know their financial situation (even though she wouldn't give me a budget). I felt like this could be a way to minister to their family. Well, so much for ministering because she was blown away by my "exorbant" price and has now told everyone to never even consider asking me for a cake because I'll rob their bank accounts.

Ugh, I am so disgusted. In Oct., I am doing a simple buttercream class for some ladies at the church and I think one of the 1st exercises that I will do with them will be to educate them on the cost of caking! I absolutely dread church on Sunday now because I already know she is running her mouth.

15 replies
BlakesCakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
BlakesCakes Posted 20 Aug 2010 , 9:04pm
post #2 of 16

What a classic example of "No good deed goes unpunished"!

I'm so sorry that you're going thru such silliness.

She needs a cake to feed 115, wants custom, intricate decoration, and wants it for the price of what, a Costco cake??????????? icon_eek.gif

Go to church on Sun., hold your head high, and at the first opportunity, say something like, "Well, I know my price is more than fair. You can't even serve people 2 Twinkies for $1--and my cakes are homemade with premium ingredients and hours of my time."

Nothing gives her the right to think that she should be able to buy a BMW for the price of a KIA. icon_twisted.gif

Rae

scp1127 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
scp1127 Posted 21 Aug 2010 , 5:10am
post #3 of 16

I would speak to the pastor. No malicious gossip should go on in church. He is there to be a guide to those who are not acting appropriately within its walls.

ChilliPepper Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ChilliPepper Posted 21 Aug 2010 , 5:33am
post #4 of 16

Hi

You will always come across people who think they can have something on the cheap, especially if they know you! I would completely ignore this malicious piece of work as the majority of people appreciate the costs of ingredients, baking and materials and are prepared to pay for the hours and effort put into the actualy decorating of the cake(s). I have only been decorating cakes for a year and the difference in attitudes from people I know is 'gobsmacking' at times but I have found those who complain about price soon change their mind when (a) they are lucky enough to taste my cakes and/or (b) they try and find a unique, bespoke cake at a cheaper price.

Keep your chin up!

CP x

sweettreat101 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sweettreat101 Posted 21 Aug 2010 , 8:34am
post #5 of 16

If anyone approaches you about this just let them know that the cake was to feed 115 people and it was the size of a wedding cake. Let them know that you only charged about a dollar a serving and other bakers in the area charge 3.00 to 4.00 a serving and that she got a bargain. I hope you told her that you will never take an order from her again. And told her to try and find a cake of that size for what she paid you. I have a lady at work that I can tell she doesn't really like what I charge for her cakes but she keeps ordering from me. For one she always orders half white tres leches and half chocolate tres leches with a vanilla mousse and whipped frosting. I generally charge her 35.00 to 45.00 some sculpted cakes. She doesn't understand that one carton of frosting alone is 5.00 plus all of the other ingredients so I don't really make anything on her cakes just enough to cover gas for all the running around. I just started telling her I was busy or booked for that date. Oh and she likes to ask me for cake one to two days before her parties. People. can be so rude.

Rosiepan Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Rosiepan Posted 21 Aug 2010 , 11:19am
post #6 of 16

You must go to church on Sunday. You have nothing to be ashamed or feel guilty off. Walk in with your head held high.I would have word with the Pastor and share your concerns if this gets out of hand. This woman should not be allowed to get away with gossiping like that, there should be no place for it in church.Hold firm and your quality and talent will win through. Anyone who has seen and tasted your cakes will know they did not buy just flour and eggs but a bespoke quality cake at a realy very good price.
Unfortunately in this life you will always have givers and takers. I know a few people who think the world owes them a favour and she seems like one of them. No wonder the other girl backed out of making it.
Hugs for you.

aprilblack Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
aprilblack Posted 21 Aug 2010 , 1:33pm
post #7 of 16
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rosiepan

You must go to church on Sunday. You have nothing to be ashamed or feel guilty off. Walk in with your head held high.I would have word with the Pastor and share your concerns if this gets out of hand. This woman should not be allowed to get away with gossiping like that, there should be no place for it in church.Hold firm and your quality and talent will win through. Anyone who has seen and tasted your cakes will know they did not buy just flour and eggs but a bespoke quality cake at a realy very good price.
Unfortunately in this life you will always have givers and takers. I know a few people who think the world owes them a favour and she seems like one of them. No wonder the other girl backed out of making it.
Hugs for you.

It is obvious that the original caker backed out because this lady apparently wanted it done for almost free!! With only charging $115 for ALL of that work, I personally would have been relieved when she didnt care for the price. As for her running her mouth with people at church, that is just wrong on so many levels. I would def have a word with the pastor.

etr2002 Posted 21 Aug 2010 , 10:22pm
post #8 of 16

Thanks for the posts and most of all, support. I will definitely be at church tomorrow as she's not going to interefere with my religious activities. Hopefully this will all blow over soon.

Here's my reply to her e-mail fussing about price and demanding a "simple" cake - oh, if she only read the threads on the simple cakes.

Quote:
Quote:

I've received your response to the quote and am sorry that it wasn't what you were looking for in terms of design or price. Although there are limitless ways to decorate the cakes, the price quoted was not based upon simplicity or elegance of decoration but on ingredients needed to make a cake(s) or cupcake that feed 100 people. I'm sorry but where I can work with you on the design of the cake, I cannot change my price as it is as low as I can quote on an order of this size.

I hope you are not offended as I certainly am not if you choose to take your business elsewhere. I wish you the best with the shower.

I haven't heard anything directly from her since the e-mail, but I have heard from others whom I politely told that it was simply a matter of my price for a cake to feed 115 being outside her budget but that I'm not offended at all that she will purchase her product elsewhere...I end the discussion there as it really isn't anyone's business. When they hear the size the cake (she's already told the price), then they get a funny look on their face because most know that the price is beyond cheap. It'll blow over soon, I'm sure. I definitely won't be doing the cake and will be busy if asked again!

costumeczar Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
costumeczar Posted 21 Aug 2010 , 11:49pm
post #9 of 16

It sounds like other people in your church have more sense than she does, so definitely keep explaining it being a budget issue if people bring it up again. If she has the nerve to say anything to you tomorrow just tell her calmly that you couldn't do a custom cake for the 75 cents a serving she wanted to spend, but she can probably get twinkies for that price.

neelycharmed Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
neelycharmed Posted 22 Aug 2010 , 11:22am
post #10 of 16

wow! That's all I can say about that...
You don't try and get a cheaper price at the gas station, you don't get a cheaper price at the grocery store, BUT for some reason people feel cake should be one of the those "cheap" items because "it's only flour, eggs, sugar and a bit of icing"... "anybody can make a cake" icon_eek.gif
Glad you stood your ground and even happier that you didn't have to deal with her as a client.
Jodi icon_smile.gif

Rosiepan Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Rosiepan Posted 22 Aug 2010 , 1:53pm
post #11 of 16

Good for you for standing your ground.The truth will always come out and it will be known for what it is.Hope you had a good service today and came away feeling blessed and refreshed.

DefyGravity Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
DefyGravity Posted 22 Aug 2010 , 2:14pm
post #12 of 16

I hope that church this morning went well! I think it's funny how people leave out certain details when they're complaining about something. $120 for a cake that will feed 100 is an amazing price and I love your intentions. Even though it started out as her wanting a "simple cake" I wonder how much that would have changed as it got closer to the event? I agree with others, as word gets out of what actually happened, I don't think it will reflect badly on you at all (plus, I think people with that kind of personality are typically taken with a grain of salt, anyhow).

Your cakes are absolutely beautiful, by the way icon_smile.gif

Katiebelle74 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Katiebelle74 Posted 22 Aug 2010 , 5:09pm
post #13 of 16

I have learned the long hard way.... when giving a discount to say "for ____ flavor with _____decor and custom made _______ the regular price is __________ but I am going to give you a _____ discount this one time and ONLY charge you __________" That way they know it's a discount otherwise they've no clue and are prone to acting like they still want a deal since unfortunately most of the general public is CLUELESS about cake costs.

suzylynn58 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
suzylynn58 Posted 22 Aug 2010 , 7:55pm
post #14 of 16

I agree that the general public is mostly clueless about what goes into making a cake to serve 100+ people. No matter how simple the design may be, it is labor intensive as well as costly to buy the ingredients.

If they can't afford the fancy cake, then there is nothing wrong with getting walmart or sam's cakes. Just don't bad mouth us because we are trying to keep our businesses afloat.

etr2002 Posted 22 Aug 2010 , 9:55pm
post #15 of 16

Thanks everyone. Church went just fine this morning. I saw the potential client from the distance as she was singing in the choir but that was it. I certainly wouldn't have ignored her but I saw her go the opposite way after service. She's probably just embarrassed because I know they had a budget and it was really low - I knew there were financial issues to begin with though and that's why I quoted so low. It's all good. Let's all keep cakin'!

Moondance Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Moondance Posted 22 Aug 2010 , 11:11pm
post #16 of 16

what a lovely attitude you have etr2002 - your (ex) client doens't know a gift when it hits her in the mouth!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%