Sticking With A Price & Now Backlash (Long)

Decorating By etr2002 Updated 22 Aug 2010 , 8:04am by scp1127

etr2002 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
etr2002 Posted 20 Aug 2010 , 8:36pm
post #1 of 6

If I have learned nothing else from lurking on CC it is to (1) always have a contract (2) take pics of your product at delivery and (3) always stand by your price. I've learned because I do those things but today I am learning that the backlash can be harsh. Oh, and I am always consistent with price on the very, very few cakes I have ever done for a paying customer.

I live in an area where homebakeries are okay but rarely do I take advantage of that blessing as I primarily bake for free for family. Well, I received a call on Tuesday night from a very upset member of my church who had heard that I occassionally bake cakes. She is throwing a huge shower for her son and future DIL next Saturday and the girl who was supposed to make the cakes has backed out. The woman has no clue what she wants (she said she was trusting the friend who was going to make it to be creative and make something to go with their quilt and mason jar theme). I come-up with an idea that incorporates a wedding ring quilt idea, silhouettes of a bride and groom, and daisies (specifically requested). She loves the idea but not my price. The cake will feed 115 and I only quoted $120.00. Obviously, I wasn't planning on making a lot of money (you know how much ingredients alone will be for a cake of this size) and I know their financial situation (even though she wouldn't give me a budget). I felt like this could be a way to minister to their family. Well, so much for ministering because she was blown away by my "exorbant" price and has now told everyone to never even consider asking me for a cake because I'll rob their bank accounts.

Ugh, I am so disgusted. In Oct., I am doing a simple buttercream class for some ladies at the church and I think one of the 1st exercises that I will do with them will be to educate them on the cost of caking! I absolutely dread church on Sunday now because I already know she is running her mouth.

5 replies
lynndy-lou Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
lynndy-lou Posted 20 Aug 2010 , 9:23pm
post #2 of 6

Thats awful, but not everyone will be ignorant to the price of ingredients and hopefully they will set her straight as to how much cakes are to buy in the real world

PattyT Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
PattyT Posted 20 Aug 2010 , 9:42pm
post #3 of 6

For $1.04 per person she could buy....??? Twinkies, HoHo's, large size candy bars...??

I think you were very generous to sincerely offer design ideas along with a GREAT price on short notice.

I wonder why the original person backed out?

step0nmi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
step0nmi Posted 20 Aug 2010 , 10:03pm
post #4 of 6

hmmm...this sucks! I would set her straight! I know you don't own a business but you need to explain to her that most bakers/custom decorators would be charging over $2 a serving and you are WELL under that price! she shouldn't be spreading around your name badly either. wish you could take it to a lawyer icon_razz.gif

auzzi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
auzzi Posted 22 Aug 2010 , 2:58am
post #5 of 6

Just because she did not like the price - does not mean that it is wrong ..

Speak to her and remind her of the legal term "slander" - words falsely spoken that damage the reputation of another - especially when she is damaging the reputation of your business.

As a member of your church, quote Proverbs 10:18 from the Bible -

He that hideth hatred is of lying lips; And he that uttereth a slander is a fool.

scp1127 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
scp1127 Posted 22 Aug 2010 , 8:04am
post #6 of 6

I grew up in church and am not a big fan of it just for this reason. If people go to church, can't they at least try to act like christians under the roof? I just want to say that if this woman is speaking badly about you, I will bet my next cake that she is a gossip, a pot stirrer, and she talks badly about many people. People like that are easily spotted after awhile and most decent people will recognize them as someone who speaks ill of others and people will not rely on their word. As I posted earlier, your pastor should stop this type of behavior as his job is to provide a welcoming place to worship and learn.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%