Worried I May Have Overdone It With Ganache

Decorating By debbief Updated 23 Aug 2010 , 9:34pm by Teenz

debbief Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
debbief Posted 20 Aug 2010 , 6:57pm
post #1 of 5

Sorry this is kind of long. I am getting ready to decorate a two tier b-day cake for tomorrow. I baked a 10" Banana cake and a 12" coconut. I'm going to fill them with banana cream and coconut cream filling. I've never filled a cake with anything other than buttercream, jam or ganache.

I started to worry that the cream filling (custard and whipped cream combo) will soak into the cake and make it soggy...so last night I put a thin layer of white chocolate ganache on the layers to act as a barrier between the cake and cream filling.

I'm not too worried about the 12" because I didn't tort it. So I have two 2"ish layers. But I torted the banana layers (now 4-1"layers) so after I spread the ganache over all of them, it seemed like a lot. I used a basting brush and painted it as thin as I could while the ganache was still warm and liquidy.

I'm also planning to frost the cakes in white ganache and cover with fondant. So what I'm asking is...is this cake going to be way to sweet?

For future reference...could I just have put the filling directly on the layers without them becoming soggy? I really should have taken the time to ask before I used my own judgment. icon_redface.gif I'd really appreciate any advice. Thanks!

4 replies
debbief Posted 21 Aug 2010 , 2:52am
post #2 of 5

OK don't do this! White chocolate ganache gets very sticky....what a mess Ive made. icon_sad.gif I'll be up very late baking tonight. And I thought I was at the fun decorating stage. Well at least I learned something. The hard way, but I learned.

ChilliPepper Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ChilliPepper Posted 21 Aug 2010 , 5:37am
post #3 of 5

Oh poor you - a Sunday evening with feet up is on the cards!

Still a lesson learned and I will remember it to save myself some grief. My Nan always said "learn from other people's mistakes because you will never live long enough to make them all yourself"! LOL!

CP x

debbief Posted 23 Aug 2010 , 9:11pm
post #4 of 5

Thanks for the sympathy icon_smile.gif It took me quite awhile to actually throw in the towel and scrap the entire top tier. But I'm glad I did.

The second time around, no painting of ganach all over the layers...and I didn't tort. I cut about a 1/4" or so well out of the bottom layer about 1/4" from the edge and filled it with the banana cream. That way I didn't have to worry about the filling smooshing out. I still did a ganach damn around the edge.

Worked out perfect. And everyone said it was delicious! Yaaay! So I guess all's well that ends well icon_biggrin.gif Hopefully this pic will attach.

ETA: Oh well, I can't get the pic to upload. I'll put it in my gallery soon.

Teenz Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Teenz Posted 23 Aug 2010 , 9:34pm
post #5 of 5

Too much ganache?!? Never!! come to Australia its all we use to tort/fill and cover! Yum! =) hehe

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%