Networking Questions....

Business By RoseCitySugarcraft Updated 21 Aug 2010 , 4:07am by cheatize

RoseCitySugarcraft Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
RoseCitySugarcraft Posted 20 Aug 2010 , 4:35pm
post #1 of 8

Hey there, all my fellow CCer's!!!

I have been given the go-ahead by my city's health department to be able to charge for cakes to "friends and family". The Food Retail laws are such that as a home baker, creating for such a relatively small client base, that I was told I "fly under the radar". I do not have to have a biz license, no inspections, or anything like that. I just need to be aware of food safety rules and sanitation practices. (Been in the food industry over 20 years..I think I've got THAT much covered at least! lol)

Ok, so with all that set up...my question is this:
As a person, legal to sell cakes, what are your thoughts on how I network my business?
Is it legit to create a fan page on facebook? Or is that crossing some kind of line I'm not aware of?

Any suggestions or experience with this would be immensely appreciated!

Happy caking everyone icon_smile.gif ~ Scott

7 replies
needy2 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
needy2 Posted 20 Aug 2010 , 4:39pm
post #2 of 8

Scott, I hate to pee in your cheerios, but if you start networking and advertising, I don't think you'd qualify as "flying under the radar" anymore. I'd double check with your HD to see just how much is considered "under the radar." Many times, once you start making cakes for total strangers for money, that's crossing the line.

jason_kraft Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jason_kraft Posted 20 Aug 2010 , 4:49pm
post #3 of 8

Agreed...flying under the radar means no advertising.

And FYI, if you start baking commercially for strangers you are opening yourself to a huge amount of risk if you don't have liability insurance. For example, if you sold a cake to a stranger made with eggs that were in the recent salmonella recall, and people got sick, you could be held personally liable and your personal assets would be up for grabs in a lawsuit.

indydebi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
indydebi Posted 20 Aug 2010 , 6:43pm
post #4 of 8
Quote:
Originally Posted by jasonkraft

Agreed...flying under the radar means no advertising.

And FYI, if you start baking commercially for strangers you are opening yourself to a huge amount of risk if you don't have liability insurance. For example, if you sold a cake to a stranger made with eggs that were in the recent salmonella recall, and people got sick, you could be held personally liable and your personal assets would be up for grabs in a lawsuit.

Or if someone tripped and fell on your porch while picking up a cake; or if someone tripped over an extension cord if you were in a bridal show.

As far as networking, if you are a subscriber to Cake Central Magazine, my column this month is on networking.

RoseCitySugarcraft Posted 20 Aug 2010 , 8:18pm
post #5 of 8

IndiDebi wrote

Quote:
Quote:

Or if someone tripped and fell on your porch while picking up a cake; or if someone tripped over an extension cord if you were in a bridal show.
As far as networking, if you are a subscriber to Cake Central Magazine, my column this month is on networking.

Thanks everybody for your input. I appreciate it very much.

Let me clarify a couple things though...

First...I wouldn't be setting up the FB page as a "business" page, per se. More along the lines of an artist's page, where people can be "fans" of my work. Like a porfolio of my work, where people can see it all, and comment, and talk about all things cake.
I don't intend to say anything about "Now open for business!", pricing, etc.

Next would be that as far as pick-ups go...no one's coming to my home, except for an occasional consultations. No trade shows, either. Word of mouth is PLENTY enough work for me! My client base is STRICTLY friends and family.

So...does that make any more of a difference? Or am I just trying to justify my intentions, here?
Thanks again, everyone!

RoseCitySugarcraft Posted 20 Aug 2010 , 8:21pm
post #6 of 8

oh, and Debi...sad to say, I'm not YET a subscriber to the CC magazine icon_sad.gif
Don't think for a minute I'm hating that fact! I want to see all the back issues, but how easy is it to get them???? My birthday's coming up, and I would HOPE someone I love gets me a subscription icon_smile.gif
Would really love to see your article on networking....<sigh> some day!

jason_kraft Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jason_kraft Posted 20 Aug 2010 , 8:26pm
post #7 of 8
Quote:
Originally Posted by

My client base is STRICTLY friends and family.

If you plan to continue operating without a safety net, think to yourself what a customer would do if they were poisoned by your cake. If you think they (and their guests) would not be satisfied by an apology and a full refund, don't accept the order.

cheatize Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cheatize Posted 21 Aug 2010 , 4:07am
post #8 of 8

If all your customers are friends and family why would you need to do any networking beyond what you already do?

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%