Help!!!! Plz!

Decorating By IceQueen29 Updated 20 Aug 2010 , 10:57pm by BlakesCakes

IceQueen29 Posted 20 Aug 2010 , 4:11pm
post #1 of 6

Hi All! I have a cake I am trying to finish up today and its not going good at all! I am trying to roll out the fondant for the middle tier and as I am rolling it I can the elephant skin forming and as I roll it more it starts to tear!! icon_cry.gif I am using satin ice fondant that i colored pink....can someone plz plz help!! Is there anything i can add to help it? I would hate to color a whole new batch...TIA icon_sad.gificon_sad.gif

5 replies
Mexx Posted 20 Aug 2010 , 6:19pm
post #2 of 6

Trying adding a little shortening (Crisco) to it...about a tbsp or so at a time. Keep kneading it in until you get the texture you need.

BlakesCakes Posted 20 Aug 2010 , 9:28pm
post #3 of 6

What are you rolling it on?

SI recommends on their website that you roll it out on a smear of shortening.

I do this on a piece of vinyl and have no problems with drying out, elephant skin, or tearing.

Moondance Posted 20 Aug 2010 , 9:40pm
post #4 of 6

don't put too much cRisco in it, it'll end up too soft - I also grease my counter lightly - it rolls really well then is easy to get nto my rolling pin to put over the cake

IceQueen29 Posted 20 Aug 2010 , 10:38pm
post #5 of 6

Thank you guys so much for your help!! I was rolling it out on a piece of vinyl but had not put any crisco down only just kneaded a little in...after I added a little more and let it rest and put some down on the vinyl it worked great!! Had a little tearing on the edges but it was no big deal it got cut off anyway...Thanks again for the help!! icon_biggrin.gif

BlakesCakes Posted 20 Aug 2010 , 10:57pm
post #6 of 6

So glad it worked out for you!

That little bit of crisco on the vinyl helps with the necessary glide when rolling out the SI!

Quote by @%username% on %date%