My Cake Doesn't Taste Very Good

Baking By SRumzis Updated 25 Aug 2010 , 1:59pm by luddroth

SRumzis Posted 20 Aug 2010 , 3:39pm
post #1 of 7

I don't know what I'm doing wrong, I've tried half a dozen recipes for pound cake on this site (a type of cake I want to use for various reasons), but the only cakes I make that and up really moist and flavorful end up coming from a box. I watch cake shows and it seems like they use a lot of filling and icing between layers when they use pound cake. Is that what I'm doing wrong? Not icing/filling them enough? The cakes I make aren't overcooked, they come out looking great, cutting great, etc... they're just not very sweet or flavorful. Any tips will help! Thank you!

6 replies
Elcee Posted 21 Aug 2010 , 6:59pm
post #2 of 7

Maybe you just don't like the taste and texture of cakes made from scratch. It would be OK if you don't. Also, try recipes that are not pound cake and see if you like those better. I find pound cake is particularly dense and only use it for competition cakes and exceptionally moist desserts, like trifle. After much trial and error, I have settled into using some scratch and some doctored cake mix recipes.

scp1127 Posted 25 Aug 2010 , 10:24am
post #3 of 7

I grew up in the south where pound cake is popular. A pound cake is a very dense cake. As the other poster said, maybe you don't like pound cake. There is a learned skill to making a pound cake, as it rises by air alone. The best way to learn to make pound cake is to study it. There are many books and tutorials that teach proper pound cake procedure, and plenty of trouble-shooting tips, (too many to list here). I learned from my grandmother, but she passed away 14 years ago. If I go awhile without making one, I still review the notes I have collected as I bake it.

scp1127 Posted 25 Aug 2010 , 10:27am
post #4 of 7

Another tip... look for recipes by southern cooks... Alton Brown, Paula Deen, Southern Living magazine.

awatterson Posted 25 Aug 2010 , 10:39am
post #5 of 7

The recipe out of the America's Test Kitchen cook book is really good. It is quite a process (you need to use a food processor) but it is worth it. That cookbook is worth the money.

LindaF144a Posted 25 Aug 2010 , 1:46pm
post #6 of 7

I agree with everybody else. Post your recipe and how you do it. Then we can see where we can help. And is this a true pound cake with no leavening? A lot of cakes are called pound cakes, but they are variations of a pound cake and can be tweeked.

luddroth Posted 25 Aug 2010 , 1:59pm
post #7 of 7

Pound cakes aren't supposed to be too sweet. The recipe I use is based on French pastry tradition and it's definitely less sweet than typical American cakes, or American tastes. One trick for enhancing the flavor of pound cake is to poke holes in it while it's still warm, with toothpick or skewer, and then brush with a flavored liquid -- liquer, syrup, etc. It's great.

You may prefer the taste of a good butter cake or yellow cake.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%