Boxed Vs. Scratch Cake For!

Decorating By JustGettinStarted Updated 20 Aug 2010 , 8:32pm by JustGettinStarted

JustGettinStarted Posted 20 Aug 2010 , 12:56pm
post #1 of 5

Hi, I'm sorry I know there are a TON of questions about freezing cakes on here (at least 635), but I haven't found an answer to my question.

I was wondering if there is any difference between freezing a boxed cake and a scratch cake. I read some where on here the other day that someone thought she had read that you shouldn't freeze scratch cakes, but I can't find anything about it.

So, I'm wondering if that is true? I'm still new at this, but what I've found here on CC is that freezing the WASC is a hit, as I've seen with other boxed cakes, but I haven't really seen anything about scratch cakes.

I made a scratch chocolate cake the other night and it is usually SUPER moist, but after taking it out of the freezer (nondefrosting freezer) it was drier than normal. I did bake it in a different pan than normal so that could be it, but I need to do another cake (in the same pan as that was my trial cake) for Sunday and I planned on baking it today (Friday) and decorating tomorrow and I can't just take a bite of the cake to make sure it's still moist (although I'd like to icon_smile.gif). Any suggestions?

4 replies
leily Posted 20 Aug 2010 , 1:01pm
post #2 of 5

I am interested in this question also. All i have ever frozen is box mix cakes (or a variation of one) I do use some scratch recipes, but haven't tried to freeze them.

bakingpw Posted 20 Aug 2010 , 1:15pm
post #3 of 5

All I ever bake is scratch cakes and I have frozen them very successfully. Just wrap well before freezing - leave the wrap on while defrosting.

hollyml Posted 20 Aug 2010 , 8:16pm
post #4 of 5

I've only frozen scratch cakes, and it works just fine. I agree that in order to avoid drying, you need to make sure the cake is well-wrapped. But if you wrap it up airtight and then let it thaw before unwrapping, it actually makes the cake more moist.

JustGettinStarted Posted 20 Aug 2010 , 8:32pm
post #5 of 5

Thanks everyone! Maybe it was just that the cake was already too dry. I'm hoping it turns out really well if I bake and freeze tonight, thaw in the morning and decorate tomorrow, and serve Sunday. Thank you!

Quote by @%username% on %date%