Boxed Vs. Scratch Cake For Freezing...help!

Decorating By JustGettinStarted Updated 20 Aug 2010 , 8:32pm by JustGettinStarted

JustGettinStarted  Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
JustGettinStarted Posted 20 Aug 2010 , 12:56pm
post #1 of 5

Hi, I'm sorry I know there are a TON of questions about freezing cakes on here (at least 635), but I haven't found an answer to my question.

I was wondering if there is any difference between freezing a boxed cake and a scratch cake. I read some where on here the other day that someone thought she had read that you shouldn't freeze scratch cakes, but I can't find anything about it.

So, I'm wondering if that is true? I'm still new at this, but what I've found here on CC is that freezing the WASC is a hit, as I've seen with other boxed cakes, but I haven't really seen anything about scratch cakes.

I made a scratch chocolate cake the other night and it is usually SUPER moist, but after taking it out of the freezer (nondefrosting freezer) it was drier than normal. I did bake it in a different pan than normal so that could be it, but I need to do another cake (in the same pan as that was my trial cake) for Sunday and I planned on baking it today (Friday) and decorating tomorrow and I can't just take a bite of the cake to make sure it's still moist (although I'd like to icon_smile.gif). Any suggestions?

TIA!

4 replies
 leily  Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
leily Posted 20 Aug 2010 , 1:01pm
post #2 of 5

I am interested in this question also. All i have ever frozen is box mix cakes (or a variation of one) I do use some scratch recipes, but haven't tried to freeze them.

bakingpw  Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
bakingpw Posted 20 Aug 2010 , 1:15pm
post #3 of 5

All I ever bake is scratch cakes and I have frozen them very successfully. Just wrap well before freezing - leave the wrap on while defrosting.

hollyml  Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
hollyml Posted 20 Aug 2010 , 8:16pm
post #4 of 5

I've only frozen scratch cakes, and it works just fine. I agree that in order to avoid drying, you need to make sure the cake is well-wrapped. But if you wrap it up airtight and then let it thaw before unwrapping, it actually makes the cake more moist.

JustGettinStarted  Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
JustGettinStarted Posted 20 Aug 2010 , 8:32pm
post #5 of 5

Thanks everyone! Maybe it was just that the cake was already too dry. I'm hoping it turns out really well if I bake and freeze tonight, thaw in the morning and decorate tomorrow, and serve Sunday. Thank you!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%