Freezing Then Icing And Stacking? Or Ice Then Freeze Or?????

Decorating By durell87 Updated 24 Aug 2010 , 11:25pm by durell87

durell87 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
durell87 Posted 20 Aug 2010 , 5:38am
post #1 of 5

Whats the best order to do things in? I like to make my cakes a couple days ahead of time that way i have time to work on other things and am just wondering if i should ice before i freeze or after is ok? So far ive only tried just freezing then leveling and filling and frosting when im ready to start decorating but ive heard mixed things about that way/. if i were to level and fill before i freeze, how would i go about that and what would be the difference?
thanks

4 replies
durell87 Posted 24 Aug 2010 , 7:23pm
post #2 of 5

got a cake coming up soon please help! icon_eek.gif

KJ62798 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
KJ62798 Posted 24 Aug 2010 , 7:41pm
post #3 of 5

I don't normally freeze since I rarely have more than one cake to work on but I did freeze one last week.

I filled & crumb-coated the cake on Monday. Chilled it a bit to get the crumb-coat hard. Wrapped it well in Press & Seal (it was on a cake board) and froze it until Thurs. It was a carved cake so I did that once it was partially defrosted. Finished the base coat of frosting that day and then all the detail work on Friday. My friend said it was moist & yummy--I was a little worried since I don't usually freeze cakes.

Kristy

sandy1 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sandy1 Posted 24 Aug 2010 , 7:41pm
post #4 of 5

I like to bake my cakes, double wrap in plastic wrap and wrap with tin foil, place in the freezer. The day before decorating, I take the cakes out of the freezer, bring them to room temp., fill them, crumb coat, let sit for at least 4 hours or overnight (to allow for settling), if a bulge occurrs between the layers I fix it and ice the cake, once iced I decorate. I don't use dairy products in my fillings so my cakes are able to remain at room temp. I've had many compliments about how moist my cakes are.
I've been told by cake supply stores that the sleeve fillings change consistency (they separate) if frozen.

durell87 Posted 24 Aug 2010 , 11:25pm
post #5 of 5

Thanks that freally helps!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%