Charging For A Ball And Chain Grooms Cake...

Decorating By luvbuttercream Updated 20 Aug 2010 , 8:06pm by luvbuttercream

luvbuttercream Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
luvbuttercream Posted 20 Aug 2010 , 4:11am
post #1 of 10

I have a wedding booked for next month the lady contacted me today wondering if I could possibly do a ball and chain grooms cake as well. I really don't see a problem in doing it and wouldn't mind at all. I was planning on using the Wilton ball pan icing and covering it in fondant as well as making the chain out of gumpaste.
My issue is is that I am unsure what to charge for this I am unsure of how many it technically serves I have my pricing figured out for cupcakes and cakes but not a 3D cake like this. Any advice and suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

9 replies
The_Caketress Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
The_Caketress Posted 20 Aug 2010 , 1:45pm
post #2 of 10

I ussually start at 400 dollars for carved cakes. It sounds fairly simple the ball and chain so in the 400 -600 dollar range would seem appropriate.

TexasSugar Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
TexasSugar Posted 20 Aug 2010 , 1:51pm
post #3 of 10

I would figure about 12 servings for the 3d sports ball pan. It uses about 5 cups of batter.

I'd charge more per serving for it though, because covering it in fondant could be a challenge and may eat up some of your labor time.

bisbqueenb Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
bisbqueenb Posted 20 Aug 2010 , 2:35pm
post #4 of 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lori_hutchcakes

I ussually start at 400 dollars for carved cakes. It sounds fairly simple the ball and chain so in the 400 -600 dollar range would seem appropriate.

How can you call a ball shaped pan 'carved'? Carved to me means I actually cut cake to make a shape....the ball pan comes out a nice smooth easy to cover compared to a cut/ragged edge shape that needs extra attention to get a smooth finish.

luvbuttercream Posted 20 Aug 2010 , 3:43pm
post #5 of 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by bisbqueenb

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lori_hutchcakes

How can you call a ball shaped pan 'carved'? Carved to me means I actually cut cake to make a shape....the ball pan comes out a nice smooth easy to cover compared to a cut/ragged edge shape that needs extra attention to get a smooth finish.

I agree if I was carving it I would charge more but I'm not so I think that $400-$600 is too steep. Thank you Texas I think I will start there.

TexasSugar Posted 20 Aug 2010 , 4:43pm
post #6 of 10

How much cake do they need or want? If she just going for the visual or does she want a bigger number of servings than just 12? If so you could always do the ball and chain on top of a sheet cake.

I'd agree that just the one ball (using the Wilton Pan) with a chain wouldn't be in the $400plus range, especially since there is no carving and it serves so little.

But do keep in mind when you price it that you are covering a round item with fondant and if you don't want any seems that will take a little work. If you have an exturder that will help make the making of the chain links go faster, but you still have to figure out the best way to do them and dry them ahead of time.

luvbuttercream Posted 20 Aug 2010 , 6:16pm
post #7 of 10

As far as I know it is just a visual thing she has a 6 inch cutting cake and 108 cupcakes ordered already this was just an add on I think it was an afterthought so she had already ordered enough to serve everyone. I emailed explaining how many people it will serve and asking if that will suffice. I think I am underselling myself on my cakes though and need to reevaluate what I charge. There just isn't a huge market for it here and I really can't compare to places that I see on here.

luvbuttercream Posted 20 Aug 2010 , 6:16pm
post #8 of 10

Oh and thank you Texas for the tips on the cake. I don't have a extruder so I am still trying to figure all that out.

TexasSugar Posted 20 Aug 2010 , 7:30pm
post #9 of 10

Although it is a small cake, it will still be a time consuming cake. So please don't undercharge just because it sounds like alot for a small cake.

Personally I would say atleast $50.

Are you doing the brides cake as well or just the grooms cake? I wouldn't bake a 6in alone for an order, and to me this cake is about the same size. So the price of it would have to be worth my time.

luvbuttercream Posted 20 Aug 2010 , 8:06pm
post #10 of 10

I am doing the whole thing. The cake and the cupcakes, and now the groom's cake. WOW! $50 hey I really do need to reevaluate.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%