Gumpaste Decoration Storage?

Decorating By Myraruss Updated 20 Aug 2010 , 3:56am by Myraruss

Myraruss Posted 20 Aug 2010 , 2:47am
post #1 of 3

I'm making some gum-paste flowers, just practicing, and I'm wondering how long I can store them and still be able to use them later. Also, how should I store them? Loosely covered, tightly covered? This is the first time i've used gum paste, so I'm not sure what the best storage plan is. Thanks for any tips/advice!

2 replies
mpetty Posted 20 Aug 2010 , 3:34am
post #2 of 3

From what I've read they'll pretty much last forever as long as they're not around moisture. I've read some posts that you shouldn't put them in airtight containers because of the moisture problem, but I haven't a problem with that. I buy deep plastic containers in the storage area of the super grocery stores (Meijers here in Michigan), cut some styrofoam to fit the bottom and poke the flowers into the styrofoam.

I'm also keeping a "ball of roses" topper and a gumpaste bow topper in 6" bakery boxes on a shelf.

Other than the moisture, the only other issue I've read about with storing gumpaste flowers is that they should kept out of sunlight or they'll fade.

Myraruss Posted 20 Aug 2010 , 3:56am
post #3 of 3

Ok that's pretty much what I was thinking, just wanted to make sure. I'm hoping I can use my practice flowers on a friends birthday cake in a couple weeks. Thanks so much for your input!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%