Yes... It's One Of Those Questions...:)

Decorating By grossoutqueen Updated 20 Aug 2010 , 9:34pm by lynndy-lou

grossoutqueen Posted 20 Aug 2010 , 2:40am
post #1 of 7

A bride wants a very specific handmade cake topper. The attachment is below. I have worked in gumpaste flowers but never figures. Its something I am sure I can handle as I love any fondant/gumpaste sculpting and it seems to come easy to me.
I do not have any idea what to charge for this though... Like seriously not a clue. Please give me some ideas so I can get back to her with a price quote. Thanks so much guysicon_smile.gif

6 replies
grossoutqueen Posted 20 Aug 2010 , 2:42am
post #2 of 7

Whoops.... I guess that didn't work. Here is the link with the picture on it. It is the 2nd one down shown from the back, with the guy in a kilt and his bum hanging outicon_smile.gif

sillywabbitz Posted 20 Aug 2010 , 3:19pm
post #3 of 7

That topper is too cute. I look at it this way, cheapie ugly toppers are $30 and this is custom and handmade...and not easy to do ..I would charge between $30 and $50 but not knowing how long it will take you to make or how many remakes you will be doing it's just a guess.

Also if you haven't done faces before you may want to get one of the clay molds for faces.

Marianna46 Posted 20 Aug 2010 , 3:30pm
post #4 of 7

I would charge at least $50 plus the cost of any material (the gumpaste, of course, and any molds you need plus wear and tear on your equipment - like an extruder, if you use/need one for this).You need to think of a decent per-hour rate for your time, too (although if it's taking you longer because you're just starting out at this, it wouldn't be fair to charge more for not knowing what you're doing!). It's way too easy to undercharge just because we fail to take into account everything that goes into something like this: it's the ingredients, the tools, the time, the talent, everything. I think it would end up costing $70-80 after all is said and done.

leily Posted 20 Aug 2010 , 3:34pm
post #5 of 7

my sister-in-law used to make toppers out of sculpry clay and they were about 3-4" tall. She charged anywhere from 50-75 depending on the detail and qty of colors

cake-angel Posted 20 Aug 2010 , 9:24pm
post #6 of 7

I just finished doing a bunch of assorted figures for toppers and they take longer than you might think. It is all of the tiny details that take so long and drying times and painting/dusting time - etc. etc. etc. Not less than 50 dollars per figure in my opinion.

lynndy-lou Posted 20 Aug 2010 , 9:34pm
post #7 of 7

I charge between £10- £15 per figure depending on the size and detail

Quote by @%username% on %date%