Problems W/ Mmf!

Baking By CakelynsFinest Updated 25 Aug 2010 , 12:21am by julesh268

CakelynsFinest Posted 20 Aug 2010 , 2:40am
post #1 of 8

I have been having some trouble lately with my Marshmallow fondant! The last 2 that I have made have had rock hard pieces of sugar in them. I have to sit there and remove these "rocks" and it is extremely annoying! Am I doing something wrong? Another question that I have is can I mix MMF with regular fondant? I just feel like regular fondant is so much easier to work with, but people like the taste of the MMF better and it is less expensive. What do you think?

7 replies
BethLS Posted 20 Aug 2010 , 3:00am
post #2 of 8

What recipe are you using for your MMF?

Here is what I do, hope it helps! (and I never experience hard pieces, or dryness leading to elephant skin or breakage)

Melt in the microwave marshmallows (with a table spoon or so of water, plus what flavoring you want, IE Almond, Butter, Vanilla) until spooth. I do this in intervals of 30 seconds, stir, heat again till you get a nice smooth consistancy.

Then I put that bowl of melted marshmallows into my bowl of the stand mixer. Attach the dough hook and add in slowly sifted (cannot stress sifted enough) powdered sugar until it balls up. Grease hands with shortening and take out dough. Kneed in remaining sugar (you may have some left over, I routinely do!) until its a good consistancy. Wrap tightly in a couple layers of plastic wrap and let stand for a couple hours. (I recently started doing this and like the texture of it better after it has set for a little while, its a more accurate way of seeing how the fondant will be since it will be cooled)

Hope this helps!

chellescountrycakes Posted 20 Aug 2010 , 4:20am
post #3 of 8

I think I got a bad batch of PS too. Mine all of a sudden had LOTS of rock hard peices in it today. And I just added PS to my bucket. the last batch last week had NONE. I fiqure thats what it is.

I hate to try and sift. I just dont have time, or patience, and I cant stand the mess it makes. All I have is one of those circles with a handle, and the screen looks like a half of a ball, to sift with. I bought a sifter at walmart but it sucked. But it takes me about 45 minutes to sift for one thing of fondant.

CakelynsFinest Posted 20 Aug 2010 , 1:17pm
post #4 of 8

That's probably what the problem is. I don't sift the powdered sugar prior to mixing w/ the marshamllow. So has anyone ever mixed regular fondant w/ MMF? Is it easier to work with?

FlourPots Posted 20 Aug 2010 , 9:18pm
post #5 of 8

I've had this happen when I used cold powdered sugar that had been in the fridge, and added it to the hot MM's.

lorieleann Posted 20 Aug 2010 , 9:32pm
post #6 of 8

i have mixed MMF with Satin Ice and also with (old) Wilton when i needed to stretch my fondant on hand. I have also mixed Satin Ice with Fondarific and really liked the results. I don't see any reason why you can't, as long as you kneed very throughly. I don't find it easier to work with though. As my MMF usually comes out, it is just as easy as SI to use, so i wouldn't be doing it for performance.

cheatize Posted 21 Aug 2010 , 4:32am
post #7 of 8

Overheating the marshmallows and not sifting the powdered sugar seems to be the two main causes for the rocks.

julesh268 Posted 25 Aug 2010 , 12:21am
post #8 of 8

You do need to sift all of your ps before adding it to your marshmallows. I hate sifting too, but do it in a regular metal strainer (fine mesh) and then tap it with my hand over the bowl. Less mess and easier on your hands.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%