Banana Foster Cake?

Decorating By soph917 Updated 23 Aug 2010 , 6:21pm by JustGettinStarted

soph917 Posted 20 Aug 2010 , 2:27am
post #1 of 9

Ideas please!
I just had a request for a bananas foster type cake for this Saturday.

They have asked for layer of fresh bananas, a rum sauce and IMBC.

So I am thinking a butter rum cake (converting a WASC recipe), and the fresh bananas of course.

So any ideas on the rum sauce? Any tips? I guess I will be experimenting tonight!

8 replies
scp1127 Posted 20 Aug 2010 , 3:45am
post #2 of 9

YES! Bananas Foster originated at Brennan's Restaurant in New Orleans. The recipe is all over the internet. I make the recipe, take out the bananas , and keep a container of the sauce in my freezer. You can brush it on the cake, put it in the buttercream, or drizzle it on top, depending on the occasion. This recipe requires lighting banana licquor and rum on fire, but the results are so good. It goes with any banana cake. By the way, banana licquor and rum can be bought in minis to save money.

soph917 Posted 20 Aug 2010 , 3:58am
post #3 of 9

Great tips, thank you!
I found tons of recipes, but I just wasn't sure how I was going to incorporate into the cake. I will make the sauce and go from there with it. I actually do have a bottle of 99 Bananas and Bacardi in my liquor cabinet, so yay! I love banana cake, and I thought that would go well, but she was specific in it being fresh bananas, NOT banana cake. So I'm doing butter rum cake. thumbs_up.gif

scp1127 Posted 20 Aug 2010 , 7:00am
post #4 of 9

I use it on bananas foster cupcakes and it is high on my list of friends and family favorites. You can't go wrong with that sauce no matter how you use it. By the way, serve your family the bananas with ice cream. And make sure you get the authentic recipe as there are lots of immitators. If you can't find it, I will get it for you. Please let us know how you decide to pull it all together. I would like your recipe.

soph917 Posted 21 Aug 2010 , 8:03am
post #5 of 9

Thank you for the suggestions, it turned out so yummy!
I used a WASC recipe- white cake, and in place of the almond extract I used Lorann's Butter Rum, plus 2 TBSP of Bacardi.
For the filling I used thin slices of fresh banana and drizzled the sauce over them. I used Brennan's original recipe that you recommended. SO GOOD!

I think it would have been awesome to have a layer of whipped cream in there too for the filling, but I didn't add it to this cake. I just wasn't sure that they would want whipped cream, so I didn't want to risk it. I will suggest to her, serving it with whipped cream though.

For the icing, I did do an IMBC, flavored with a little vanilla and several TBSP of the sauce (Brennan's). I didn't measure exactly, I just did it to taste. OMG, the IMBC was to die for!

I made 2 batches of the sauce, so I could stash one in the freezer. icon_biggrin.gif

scp1127 Posted 21 Aug 2010 , 8:18am
post #6 of 9

So glad it turned out great. I will be trying your recipe. Like you, I wanted to add something like vanilla ice cream taste, so I experimented with making creme anglaise thicker and it didn't work. So I just settled for cream cheese with sauce and then the drizzle. It was so good I forgot about the creme anglaise.

JustGettinStarted Posted 23 Aug 2010 , 5:11pm
post #7 of 9

Is there any way you could post the recipe for the sauce or a link...sounds delicious! Thanks!

soph917 Posted 23 Aug 2010 , 6:15pm
post #8 of 9

Sure, here is a link to the recipe that I used.
http://www.brennansneworleans.com/r_bananasfoster.html thumbs_up.gif

JustGettinStarted Posted 23 Aug 2010 , 6:21pm
post #9 of 9

Thanks so much! Can't wait to try it!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%