I Dont Know How You Do It For A Living.

Decorating By froggy80au Updated 20 Aug 2010 , 8:00am by Mama_Mias_Cakes

froggy80au Posted 20 Aug 2010 , 1:11am
post #1 of 6

OMGoodness, I just finished my first ever cake.

I was going to cook a 2 layer cake, just like in my practice run. But one of the cakes broke when I tried to filp it to cool. So I did a late night dash to the shop to get more supplies (I bought enough to make 2 more cakes, knowing my luck I would mess one of those up too.)

So I cooked the 2 more cakes, they both turned out perfectly, so now I have a 3 layer cake.

I decided to use white chocolate ganache as a filling instead of buttercream as I used in my practice run, as I found it far too sweet.
I have never made ganache before, so I was not sure if it was suposed to be that yellow or runny. Eventually it firmed up and I tested it on some of the pieces I had cut off, it tasted OK, so I plodded on.

I put on the MMF just fine, no holes this time, just 2 little creases right at the bottom, but that was OK, because I covered them with the border.
I cut stars and put them around (I just guessed where they should go, next time I will measure)

Then I made the train topper, this was the easiest and most enjoyable part for me.

Then I started the lettering, OMG, I HATE lettering, the cutters got full of fondant, I couldnt get them out in one piece, I finally got al of the letters I needed (well, I was going to put his full name and the date of his dedication service, but I gave up) and I let them dry overnight. I went to stick them on this morning and 2 of the letters broke (reminder, next time make spares) I just stuck on the pieces and moved on.

I had 2 hissy fits at my husband, got to bed at 5.30am.

Hats off to you wonderful ladies who do this all the time, I could not imagine doing it.

Here is my finished product.

5 replies
poohsmomma Posted 20 Aug 2010 , 2:14am
post #2 of 6

Don't give up now...the more you do the easier it gets.
And your cake turned out amazing for your first try!

erincc Posted 20 Aug 2010 , 2:16am
post #3 of 6

LOL, I agree, and I say that every time I do a cake! I love it as a hobby but I would go nuts doing it for money or full-time! Your cake looks great, though, I'd never guess you had any trouble with it at all.

BrightDelights Posted 20 Aug 2010 , 2:24am
post #4 of 6

You did a great job! Don't give up, you'll only improve with practice.

Lcubed82 Posted 20 Aug 2010 , 2:37am
post #5 of 6

No way could I do this full time, as a job! It takes me two days to make one small cake!!!

Mama_Mias_Cakes Posted 20 Aug 2010 , 8:00am
post #6 of 6

Your cake is cute!

It just takes practice, practice, practice.... icon_biggrin.gif

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%