I Dont Know How You Do It For A Living.

Decorating By froggy80au Updated 20 Aug 2010 , 8:00am by Mama_Mias_Cakes

froggy80au Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
froggy80au Posted 20 Aug 2010 , 1:11am
post #1 of 6

OMGoodness, I just finished my first ever cake.

I was going to cook a 2 layer cake, just like in my practice run. But one of the cakes broke when I tried to filp it to cool. So I did a late night dash to the shop to get more supplies (I bought enough to make 2 more cakes, knowing my luck I would mess one of those up too.)

So I cooked the 2 more cakes, they both turned out perfectly, so now I have a 3 layer cake.

I decided to use white chocolate ganache as a filling instead of buttercream as I used in my practice run, as I found it far too sweet.
I have never made ganache before, so I was not sure if it was suposed to be that yellow or runny. Eventually it firmed up and I tested it on some of the pieces I had cut off, it tasted OK, so I plodded on.

I put on the MMF just fine, no holes this time, just 2 little creases right at the bottom, but that was OK, because I covered them with the border.
I cut stars and put them around (I just guessed where they should go, next time I will measure)

Then I made the train topper, this was the easiest and most enjoyable part for me.

Then I started the lettering, OMG, I HATE lettering, the cutters got full of fondant, I couldnt get them out in one piece, I finally got al of the letters I needed (well, I was going to put his full name and the date of his dedication service, but I gave up) and I let them dry overnight. I went to stick them on this morning and 2 of the letters broke (reminder, next time make spares) I just stuck on the pieces and moved on.

I had 2 hissy fits at my husband, got to bed at 5.30am.

Hats off to you wonderful ladies who do this all the time, I could not imagine doing it.

Here is my finished product.

5 replies
poohsmomma Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
poohsmomma Posted 20 Aug 2010 , 2:14am
post #2 of 6

Don't give up now...the more you do the easier it gets.
And your cake turned out amazing for your first try!

erincc Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
erincc Posted 20 Aug 2010 , 2:16am
post #3 of 6

LOL, I agree, and I say that every time I do a cake! I love it as a hobby but I would go nuts doing it for money or full-time! Your cake looks great, though, I'd never guess you had any trouble with it at all.

BrightDelights Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
BrightDelights Posted 20 Aug 2010 , 2:24am
post #4 of 6

You did a great job! Don't give up, you'll only improve with practice.

Lcubed82 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Lcubed82 Posted 20 Aug 2010 , 2:37am
post #5 of 6

No way could I do this full time, as a job! It takes me two days to make one small cake!!!

Mama_Mias_Cakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Mama_Mias_Cakes Posted 20 Aug 2010 , 8:00am
post #6 of 6

Your cake is cute!

It just takes practice, practice, practice.... icon_biggrin.gif

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%