Food Coloring For Red Velvet Cake

Baking By CarriesCakery Updated 20 Aug 2010 , 11:58am by deMuralist

CarriesCakery Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
CarriesCakery Posted 20 Aug 2010 , 12:49am
post #1 of 4

I am trying to rewrite a recipe for Red Velvet cake. The original calls for 4 small bottles of red food coloring. I figure that it would be cheaper to use the gel that I normally use for frosting. Is there any way to tell the equalivancy of the two? Also, by switching it, would I have to compensate the liquid in the food coloring with water?

Thanks for your help!

3 replies
leily Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
leily Posted 20 Aug 2010 , 10:31am
post #2 of 4

I don't know about the equivelency of the two. But my recipe calls for 2 oz of liquid red coloring. I measure two ounces in my measuring cup and then add americolor gel to get a good red color. It is drops of coloring that i need instead of the whole bottle (the smalls ones is what i'm talking about)

Doing it this way i still get the liquid that i need and i use a lot less coloring.

leily Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
leily Posted 20 Aug 2010 , 10:33am
post #3 of 4

I don't know about the equivelency of the two. But my recipe calls for 2 oz of liquid red coloring. I measure two ounces of water in my measuring cup and then add americolor gel to get a good red color. It is drops of coloring that i need instead of the whole bottle (the smalls ones is what i'm talking about)

Doing it this way i still get the liquid that i need and i use a lot less coloring.

deMuralist Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
deMuralist Posted 20 Aug 2010 , 11:58am
post #4 of 4

I buy the red food coloring from GFS, it is a 32 oz. bottle and was pretty inexpensive (can't remember exactly how much) but it makes the cake redder than the little bottles for some reason, I use about a tablespoon in a batch-I make a LOT of red velvet cake.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%