Mmf Melting... Is It Due To The 'cake' ?

Decorating By Salma Updated 20 Aug 2010 , 3:46pm by Salma

Salma Posted 20 Aug 2010 , 12:13am
post #1 of 4

I had to do a Lightning McQueen ake for my nephew. Since there would be only a small gathering at the party, and my niece is getting a separate cake, I decided to do a car dummy and cover it with MMF, not least because I wanted to practise with it.

So being very smart, i made a plaster of Paris car by molding it in Wilton's 3D Cruiser pan, then tried to make it a bit rounder like McQueen by patting on some plaster of paris by hand in the appropriate places. A couple of hours later i covered it with MMF (my first run with it ever).

Now within minutes, i noticed the fondant melting away. Repair work proved futileicon_sad.gif Yes, I'm in a hot, humid area, but interestingly, the fondant pieces on top of the red covering (like windows, windshield etc) didnt melt, just slid down in a red flood. I realized that the cast was not 100% dry, and was wondering if this is why this happened. Now I'm contemplating making a real cake, or even doing this poP experiment again, but I'm scared plus there's not much time. D'you folks think it was the moisture from the poP cast?

3 replies
BlakesCakes Posted 20 Aug 2010 , 1:28am
post #2 of 4

If the plaster of paris wasn't dry, the fondant just sucked up the water in it and the sugar in the mmf went liquid. It would have happened with any type or brand of fondant that you used.

The liquid/moisture in cakes isn't as readily available to be absorbed by fondant. It does help keep the fondant soft, but that's about it.

Crimsicle Posted 20 Aug 2010 , 2:21am
post #3 of 4

Another factor is that as plaster of paris cures, it emits heat. The fondant was probably melted a bit.

Salma Posted 20 Aug 2010 , 3:46pm
post #4 of 4

mmm, makes sense. Thanks for solving the dilemmaicon_smile.gif

Quote by @%username% on %date%